UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jan 2016, 11:42 am   #1
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Lost in Translation??!!

What I find fascinating about all these topic areas is that a new enquirer will post a query on to the Forum, then earnest and well intentioned Members post their answers or make suggestions, other Members may then intervene with other interpretations - and after about 4 pages of a thread one finds that the original enquirer never gets back and the original enquiry is left in suspended animation........never knowing if the original problem was ever solved or if it was a serious enquiry in the first place. I find this quite prevalent in the Audio section of the Forum where newcomers, especially those with some form of interest in Vinyl, are never heard from again. Maybe we scare them of with our forensic analysis of their questions?? Edward.
Old 4th Jan 2016, 11:58 am   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Lost in Translation??!!

Very true, Edward.

It gives us something to chat about though, I suppose, but it is frustrating.
Old 4th Jan 2016, 12:21 pm   #3
Hartley118
Nonode

I think that those of us experienced at building and servicing electronics are inclined to make too many assumptions about the knowledge and capabilities of someone who's, for example, just picked up a record player at a car boot sale, but has rarely handled a screwdriver, and never ever used a soldering iron.

Dire warnings about the need to replace capacitors and reform electrolytics can be pretty offputting - our poster is unlikely to know where to begin, and may just give up.

On the other hand, I'm constantly impressed at the patience of many members in guiding a beginner in jargon-free language right through to actually getting their kit working.

Martin
Old 4th Jan 2016, 12:37 pm   #4
joebog1
Banned

All three opinions are well stated!!
And I'm a newbie

Joe
Old 4th Jan 2016, 12:44 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley118 View Post
I think that those of us experienced at building and servicing electronics are inclined to make too many assumptions about the knowledge and capabilities of someone who's, for example, just picked up a record player at a car boot sale, but has rarely handled a screwdriver, and never ever used a soldering iron.
It's sometimes very difficult to tell how "techie" new members are. Some come across as quite knowledgeable then suddenly post something that suggests the complete opposite; Others seem like lost causes, then come back a few days later with a detailed and correct analysis of the fault and a report on how they fixed it. A few even get "hooked" and become regular posters and valued members of the forum.
Old 4th Jan 2016, 12:49 pm   #6
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebog1 View Post
All three opinions are well stated!!
And I'm a newbie

Joe
You may be a newbie to these forums, but you're certainly not a newbie as far as technical knowledge is concerned.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 4th Jan 2016, 12:53 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

...or as far as forum etiquette is concerned
Old 4th Jan 2016, 2:16 pm   #8
Radio_Dave
Nonode

We shouldn't assume everyone who joins this forum has an interest in repairing vintage electronics or have any intention of learning about it.

Some new members are joining because they just want to listen to an old radio or record player working and I think it's fine that we help them to do this .

David
Old 4th Jan 2016, 2:26 pm   #9
paulsherwin

As David suggests, many of these people have no real interest in the technology involved and are just looking for a magic fix. When it's pointed out that no such fix exists they give up or go elsewhere.
Old 4th Jan 2016, 3:40 pm   #10
captainking
Retired Dormant Member

This happens on most forums whether it be Motorhoming or Classic Hymers to House building sites I dip in and out of most because of my varied interests the last comet seems to be near the mark some people just want an answer and then don't bother to come back and give a closure or a thankyou

Some people have just not got the hang of politeness
Steve
Old 4th Jan 2016, 5:07 pm   #11
ben
Dekatron

The 'unresolved' threads I just take as part and parcel of forum experience. Not only do 'lay people' have a different relationship to the service/repair than ourselves, the very nature of the internet seems to make for a rather 'transient' experience. People just don't have the emotional/social connection with what is probably just text on a screen to them. I'm not saying it is polite or correct to just vanish after asking for help, but there's little we can do about it so best to let it pass.

I also suspect, as paulsherwin mentioned above, that many people want a 'quick fix', which turns out to be unrealistic. Again, I put this down to the internet's very nature : we are so accustomed to just clicking a mouse and getting information/pieces of music/videos on demand that anything more long-winded seems unthinkable to many people these days.

The thing a lot of new posters do not seem to grasp is that not only is there no magic solution in most cases, but working on such equipment with any proficiency has, for most if not all of us, required years of tinkering, reading, learning, practising, spending ( time and money) plus other things such as patience, perseverance, deductive reasoning, intuition (!) and an aptitude for delicate work. Without at least some of the above, nobody will get very far in vintage work.

All of this is getting to be foreign territory in a time where repair now seems to be reduced to swapping a motherboard or whatever. To people accustomed to board swapping or less, this isn't 'fun' , it's actually quite hard work!
Old 4th Jan 2016, 5:41 pm   #12
Radio Wrangler

Instant gratification and move on.....

The amateur radio fora were pestered 20 years ago by hordes of people looking for "Mods" for their radios. They were all recently (then) into the hobby and they only thought of software config mods "Turn on while pressing 'USB' and then enter xyzzyplugh then cycle thepower, mod done... your Ikensu 4000 now will tune to naughty frequencies"

David
Old 4th Jan 2016, 5:56 pm   #13
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Lost in Translation??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
The amateur radio fora were pestered 20 years ago by hordes of people looking for "Mods" for their radios.
"Pestered"? That's a bit harsh, isn't it? The core of Amateur Radio has always been "experiment, investigate and learn": a spirit which has sadly declined over the years. Having said that - and to avoid any misunderstandings - I do not support any 'tinkering' which is either dangerous to the operator or anyone else, or modifications which result in illegal and unauthorised reception of certain transmissions.

Al.
Old 4th Jan 2016, 7:34 pm   #14

It can be a bit annoying not getting 'feedback' from replies for help, anyway I just let it slip, most posters (nearly all) are polite. We (I like to include myself in the category) are a good bunch willing to help anyone. I am not going to be upset by the odd misfit.

Old 4th Jan 2016, 8:14 pm   #15
Junk Box Nick
Octode

There is an old saying that goes something like "better keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open your mouth and confirm it".

If you realise you're out of your depth and don't want to become embarrassed it's easier to quietly slink off. At least no one can see your blushes.

BTW I am not thinking of any particular instances on this forum - just my two pence worth.
Old 4th Jan 2016, 8:49 pm   #16
Radio Wrangler

I'm afraid, Al, that around that time (and may still be for all I know) the amateur radio fora were not as gentlemanly/ladylike as we are accustomed to here. There were people looking for 'mods' which they assumed to be available and assumed to be just key-presses or downloads - sometimes they for things with no cpu/software at all. Some of these people turned nasty and accused those who told them it couldn't be done of lying in order to stop them doing... etc etc. I thought I was putting it mildly with 'pestered'.

David
Old 4th Jan 2016, 10:23 pm   #17
Skywave
Rest in Peace

David - Ah! Now I understand: thank you.

I don't have the experience of the phenomenon to which you refer, but I can readily believe it. However I am aware that Amateur Radio has changed enormously since the late 1970s. Now I have no problems at all with change to, and the inevitable evolution of, most things but since the late 1970s, and in my humble opinion, Amateur Radio has changed substantially for the worse. It's founding spirit seems to have almost vapourised. Seems to me that that 'development' is yet another manifestation of the theme of this thread: maximum returns (e.g. results) for minimum input (e.g. effort).

Al.
Old 4th Jan 2016, 10:27 pm   #18
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Box Nick View Post
If you realise you're out of your depth and don't want to become embarrassed, it's easier to quietly slink off. At least no one can see your blushes.
And there's also an old saying - and a favourite of mine:
Success occurs in private; failure always occurs in full view.

Al.
Old 4th Jan 2016, 10:39 pm   #19
Radio Wrangler

Yeah, most people now seem to want instant gratification in all things and anyone who puts effort into something is seen as odd if not a fool. Apart from a small number of die-hards, most amateur radio contacts are short rubber-stamp jobs because both people want to get back to calling for more DX or contest points. Bores the pants off me!

My idea of fun is getting something going again that was enough of a challenge that others gave up, or designing something completely different, or running a special event station for the scouts and showing how the world can be explored from a bit of wire slung up in the trees.

I find the people who pop up and ask a question , never to be heard from again very frustrating. I'd like to know whether what was suggested worked. It's poor etiquette to just vanish without so much as a thank-you. What's worse is it leaves the rest of us wondering if it's just going to happen again with each new person's first post. This is unfair to a lot of people.

David
Old 4th Jan 2016, 11:14 pm   #20
joebog1
Banned

Amateur radio It's dead! I do'nt buy amateur magazines, but EVERY radio I see today is 32 bit. That's NOT a radio in my book. Amateur radio was cobbling together a linear using old TV parts, hand winding coils, and bashing holes in steel/aluminium. An inverted V in the back yard using the poles from mums clothesline!! THAT'S amateur radio.

But back to topic, Lots of the peeps here have already answered the important bits, i.e. if somebody needs help, we all jump in and do our best, that's what makes the forum format such good fun, and what we all learn from. If some check in and then check out, it's not really a bother, in fact they clean the swarf out themselves.

I think those that leave or don't say a thank you are good riddance. If some people here are upset by that, I think perhaps you are too sensitive. This is the internet after all!!.

Sorry mods, just my take on things.

Joe.
Closed Thread