UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Sep 2019, 7:54 pm   #1
trabant
Retired Dormant Member

Default Pilot little maestro 444 mains dropper bother

So as per usual went out to buy a DAC90a came home with that and a 38/39 pilot little maestro 444 now aware that these sets originally used the mains lead as the resistance to drop the voltage to the set obviously this has long since gone and been replaced with a dirty great big dropper resistor haphazardly bodged on to the chassis. Now I have a very nice Stewart Warner c151 obviously an American set and therefore US voltage this plugs straight in to our mains and uses a motor start capacitor as a dropper for the heaters can you do that to this pilot and if so how ? As the current set up is scorching the case .
Old 12th Sep 2019, 7:59 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Pilot little maestro 444 mains dropper bother

Hi Trabant, have a look on the forum and you should find a reference to capacitive droppers and how to calculate them. Typical values are in the 2 to 4uF range and motor run or X class caps work fine.
There has been discussions about how they will not work correctly, or damage your set if they fail; however, in my experience they present no problems.

Ed
Old 12th Sep 2019, 8:05 pm   #3
Ambientnoise
Heptode

Is this link any help (scroll down to near the bottom for a capacitive dropper in a little maestro)

http://www.pasttimesradio.co.uk/arti..._projects.html

If your set is different, the values will need changing.

https://www.vintage-radio.com/repair...per-calcs.html

Ken
Old 12th Sep 2019, 8:34 pm   #4
trabant
Retired Dormant Member

Oh that's exactly what I needed Ed and Ken thanks very much
Old 12th Sep 2019, 8:57 pm   #5
Sideband
Dekatron

Just for information, I replaced the failed dropper in my Pilot Little Maestro model 10 using a capacitor (2.5uF) retrieved from an old fluorescent light fitting. I trimmed the value by fitting a 0.1uF X class capacitor in parallel with it. It's been working for about 10 years with no problems at all.

Ideally you should use a motor run capacitor since these are designed for continuous use and usually rated at around 400V AC. You can trim the value by connecting an X class cap in parallel if necessary. X class caps also seem to work fine in this position....at least I've never had a problem with them.

The set will run much cooler with a capacitive dropper.