UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jun 2018, 12:14 pm   #1
trainee joskin
Triode

Default Would like info on these two radios please

I have these two similar looking sets and know nothing about them. Would appreciate any info please. Fuzz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	164152   Click image for larger version

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	164153   Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	164154   Click image for larger version

Name:	015.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	164155   Click image for larger version

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	164156  

Old 7th Jun 2018, 9:05 pm   #2
ColinB
Heptode

Default Re: Would like info on these two radios please

Well, they are early, that's for sure!

I'd say 1926-ish, from the parts. At that time, probably very expensive too. Each valve would have cost around a week's wage for an average working person, so not cheap to buy.

No doubt someone more knowledgeable will be along soon to provide some more details.
Old 8th Jun 2018, 11:18 pm   #3
PJL
Dekatron

They look nice and early.

They look like home builds although it is interesting that the markings on the ebonite panel look too good - is there a makers mark? Maybe the panel were purchased pre-drilled and labelled.

The rheostats for the filaments would mean they were designed to work with bright emitter valves so 1926 is likely the latest date they would be. The wiring looks a little amateurish and the intervalve transformers are a bit of a mixture so probably been through a few iterations by an early radio experimenter.
Old 9th Jun 2018, 3:43 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Fuzz, main problem areas will be switches and connections; then any wax caps (probably only one).

The intervalve transformer needs to be checked it is not open circuit. Expect readings in the low kohms on all windings. These can easily be rewound.

Ed
Old 12th Jun 2018, 1:22 pm   #5
Techman
Dekatron

That radio without the case looks familiar - I was bidding against you at one point for that at the 'junk sale'. We were a bit of a way off the reserve when I dropped out, but I did hear that you went to see them over at the table and struck a deal - a bit like I did with that old Trio. There was a biscuit tin of valves with some of the same, or similar types that were fitted to that radio that I was bidding on, but I got outbid on them. However, there were several valves in one of those 'job lot' boxes that I bought for a quid or three, including a nice PM2A, which probably should have been with those in the tin, but the tin was already too full by the look of it. the filament tests good, so it's likely to be a good one and has gone into my stock for possible future repairs.

Glad to see that radio has found a good home. It'll need 'sympathetic' repair/restoration, unless you just keep it as it is for show only.
Old 15th Jun 2018, 10:21 am   #6
trainee joskin
Triode

Thanks to all who answered and yes Techman it is that one I paid the full reserve for it which was not too bad. The other one I got at a very good price. Fuzz
Old 15th Jun 2018, 4:00 pm   #7
AndyP-UK
Triode

Your cat doesn't seem very impressed with it (Pic 1)

My cat now hates radios as much as laptops
Old 15th Jun 2018, 4:22 pm   #8
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyP-UK View Post
Your cat doesn't seem very impressed with it (Pic 1)
Well, that's probably because there is no crystal detector (and thus no need for a whisker).
Closed Thread