UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 9th Apr 2006, 6:51 pm   #1
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Murphy B801

Hmmm.... not sure if this section is correct as this is really only a success story insofar as this little radio was saved from the dustbin at the eleventh hour.

Anyway, this Murphy B801 was given to me by a friend who had rescued it from a neighbour literally as it was about to be binned following a clearout.

A very cute little radio which is only what you'd call 'coat pocket' size, it rather surprisingly uses a PP7 battery and also has a 'proper' tuning scale - unlike many other radios of similar size which used direct drive. My first impression was that it looked very Japanese or Hong Kong, but it largely predates all that and is British made throughout, chassis-wise at least.

Using AF11x transistors, the radio is in good working order and needs no electrical work whatsoever. All that's been needed is a couple of minor cosmetic repairs. The carrying case is intact, including the zip, apart from some burst stitching on the strap.

Inside the radio is a notice telling the user to instal the battery with the terminals at the bottom. Presumably this is to avoid the problem of battery terminals touching the aerial coil - a common problem with other radios such as the TR130.

Hope this is of interest to some; as said above it's hardly a 'success story' but I'm very pleased that such a nice little radio was spared the dustbin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Murphy B801 a.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	3349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Murphy B801 b.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	3350  
Old 9th Apr 2006, 7:00 pm   #2
GJR 11L
Heptode

Default Re: Murphy B801

Now that's cute! Would this be the Murphy version of the little Bush recently featured in this section by our very own Howard?

You saved it from the bin, Darren. That's surely reason enough to count it a success story. Were it not for the Human tendency to save things from bins, there would be far fewer discussion fora and we eccentric types would have room to move in our homes!
Old 9th Apr 2006, 7:35 pm   #3
howard
Nonode

Well done Darren,

And yes it looks just like my Bush TR114. So glad you saved it from the bin, cos theyre great little radios.

Howard
Old 20th Apr 2006, 11:50 am   #4
GJR 11L
Heptode

Well, I have now joined the "ranks" (groan if you must, but do it quietly) of owners of these things. My Murphy arrived this morning but needs virtually nothing doing so it won't be featured here any time soon!