UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 19th Sep 2011, 10:38 pm   #1
davegsm82
Heptode

Default Repairing a crystal (1.008MHz)

Since I posted a wanted in the section on here I had no luck finding a replacement crystal for the Terminal board which I want to get going.

In light of this, I decided to see what I could do with what I already had.

The crystal can be seen, in bits, here --> https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...81&postcount=7

In the pictures below you can see how I have managed to put it back together and test it, without the use of a frequency counter as I don't have one;

1) holding the pins (the right one has come loose) by soldering to an inductor. I was going to glue it but decided against it.

2) Came up with the idea of using a piece of PCB material with apropriate pin spacing to hold the pins in the right place.

3) Replace the crystal disk between the 2 springy terminals (now that they are sturdy enough) and paint on some silver conductive paint (although its not really needed!).

4) Build the shown circuit that I came up with, this uses a 4093 Schmitt trigger Quad Nand gate IC. Left most gate is an AF oscillator, about 5-600Hz. This gates the next oscillator which runs at the crystal frequency, 50% on, 50% off. The right most gate is simply a buffer onto which you can add a foot or so of hook-up wire to act as an antenna.

5) Use a sensitive radio scanner (Icom IC-R20) set to the crystal frequency. Then simply connect the IC to a 9v battery and listen for the tone.

This worked a treat! the crystal frequency was absolutely spot on, you could only just hear the tone 9khz up or down from 1.008MHz. I didn't bother checking for upper and lower harmonics, the frequency is so spot on that I'm not worrying.

Now all I have to do is rebuild the rest of the terminal board and hopefully we'll see first light from it again.

Dave.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0447.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	56385   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0448.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	56386   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0455.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	56387   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0456.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	56388   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0457.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	56389  

Old 19th Sep 2011, 10:52 pm   #2
Pamphonica
Nonode

Default Re: Repairing a crystal (1.008MHz)

Very fine job, Dave. A true work-around!
Circuit details should be with you in a couple of days.
regards
Jeremy
Old 19th Sep 2011, 11:08 pm   #3
cmjones01
Nonode

Very neat! Much nicer, in restoration terms, than using either an alternative crystal or a replacement of the right frequency.
Old 21st Sep 2011, 12:26 pm   #4
davegsm82
Heptode

Thanks chaps, i've since packed the bottom of the pins inside the case with epoxy resin, after doing some experimentation I found a particular resin which sets absolutely rock solid.

Some cheap epoxies seem to stay very soft, the one I used was ever-build, comes in a double barrel tube which dispenses epoxy and hardener in even amounts.

Dave.
Old 21st Sep 2011, 7:11 pm   #5
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

You may have shifted the frequency a little, but in this application that won't matter.
Old 17th Oct 2011, 11:07 pm   #6
davegsm82
Heptode

UPDATE:

For no apparent reason I decided to have another play with the Character generator board tonight, so I set about repairing the dodgy solder connections on the larger components (mains TX, filter caps and regulator).

After I'd done this, I dug out an old Black and White CRT tv, one of those little ones that you get at the boot sales for 20p.

firstly the TV was underscanning and unstable, so I opened it up and resoldered a few dry's around the Vertical deflection circuit. After this was done I was greeted with a nice full raster of snow.

I hooked the generator board up to my dual bench PSU along with the TV as I couldn't be bothered to find a 12v 1A PSU. Everything at the right voltage, switched on and a quick fiddle of the tuning control yelded a snowy yet visible picture.

In a fit of curiosity I switched the VL/VH/UHF switch to VH, to find amazingly that the picture becomes almost crystal clear. No interference other than the character generator vertical lag which is unaviodable.

At present its just a screen full of garbage, but it proves that the rebuilt crystal is working, and that the board is capable of outputting something intelligent. Next step for tomorrow is to try and feed it some RS232 and see what I can get on the screen.

I've attached a picture of the running TV.

On the very bottom line, 2nd character from the left you can see an underscore, this is the blinking cursor for where the next text will be printed. Each time you power up the board, the garbled text is different.

Dave.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0517.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	57443  
Closed Thread