UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 27th Apr 2010, 6:25 pm   #1
Count Moriarty
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ekco U29

I was given this set by the handyman at the office where I work, some years ago. To my taste it's a beautiful little set. Work on it commenced all that time ago, and was finally finished this week. Considerably more off than on!

The gent who donated it said it worked but kept on blowing fuses; not a happy situation, and it didn't take long to establish why!

Removal of the chassis for examination proved very difficult. When all the necessary screws had been removed, it still wouldn't budge. Almost as if it were stuck down... In fact, this was exactly what had happened. The fuse-blowing was diagnosed as the result of almost dead short mains RF filter capacitors, the wax from which had boiled out and stuck the chassis to the cabinet base!

Naturally these were replaced, along with other suspect looking wax-paper caps. The cabinet and knobs were de-nicotined and polished.

On went the power. First thing to note was the interminably long warm-up time! With everything up to temperature, there were many stations and good sound. All too easy - or so I thought!

After about five minutes, a tremendous rustling started from the speaker, and all the high frequencies disappeared from the audio. Percussive intervention would make it disappear, but it would quickly return.

After much head-scratching and looking for dry joints, the only thing left to check was the screened cable carrying audio to the output valve grid. Having entirely removed this cable, I decided to pull out the core from the screen and was rewarded with a bare wire and a shower of bits of hardened rubber to confirm my suspicions. Fitting a new length of wire inside the screen got rid of the irritating symptoms.

On reassembly I put one of the destroyed capacitors to good use by using the wax to fill the screw holes in the knobs and cabinet base.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	faultycap.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	35023   Click image for larger version

Name:	ekcou29.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	35024  

Last edited by Count Moriarty; 27th Apr 2010 at 6:25 pm. Reason: Noticed a couple of typos!
Old 27th Apr 2010, 6:29 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Ekco U29

Looks superb and must get mine on the bench soon.What did you get the Nicotine off with?

Thanks David
Old 27th Apr 2010, 6:33 pm   #3
benjamin77
Retired Dormant Member

Nice looking short superhet is the Ekco U29. Descent reception and is fairly sensitive. Mine is missing the on/off/volume knob as well as the badge but apart form that its in good shape.

Be mindfull that because the chassis is a bit of a squeeze, the case does get warm. Oh and the woefully long warm up time I think adds to the aniticipation of the sound that is to follow

Well done
Old 27th Apr 2010, 6:36 pm   #4
Count Moriarty
Retired Dormant Member

Nicotine shifted with tepid water and Fairy Liquid! Thank goodness there's no speaker cloth in this one... David, does yours have any stress cracks in the top of the cream speaker escutcheon? Wondering if they all do. Cheers, Jim
Old 27th Apr 2010, 6:51 pm   #5
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

I have one of these lovely little sets and had the same problem with the audio lead which on reflection it is entitled to suffer from with all of that heat. Mine also takes an age to warm up.

Dave
Old 27th Apr 2010, 7:07 pm   #6
Count Moriarty
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, there is a tremendous amount of heat in a small space - this set certainly won't be used on the shelf on which I display it, there's only about an inch of clearance at the back and up top! I neglected to mention that screened wire was the only one so affected, but it does run up the side of the output bottle after all.
Old 27th Apr 2010, 7:17 pm   #7
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Thanks for that Jim re Nicotine,yes mine has a small mark possibly a crack top right.Do understand they suffer from stress cracks.

Regards David

PS mine came from non smoker home and hope not gone OT,its a transciever i need cleaning up
Old 27th Apr 2010, 7:22 pm   #8
neil29
Heptode

Ive also had one of these. and it too had a crack. nice little set though. cheers neil.
Old 27th Apr 2010, 8:04 pm   #9
JoshWard
Octode

What a lovely pretty little set Well done
Old 29th Apr 2010, 2:49 pm   #10
Steve_P
Dekatron

Very nice set, well done. Another 50 years trouble free working...

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 29th Apr 2010, 3:30 pm   #11
newlite4
Octode

These are lovely little sets, I would never part with mine, every collector should have one.
Neil
Old 30th Apr 2010, 6:46 pm   #12
howard
Nonode

That's a nice little radio

Howard
Closed Thread