UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Feb 2015, 1:28 pm   #21
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Default Re: BVWS HARPENDEN 1st March (this Sunday)

Unfortunately mine hasnt arrived.
Hence I will be at Harpenden without a membership card.

However, I am sure that little difficulty can be overcome.
Old 28th Feb 2015, 1:30 pm   #22
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

That is no problem as you will be on the computer.
Old 28th Feb 2015, 1:55 pm   #23
Valvepower
Octode

Hi,

Arrived safe and sound – so all’s well

The Technology Fair at Cinema Museum sounds like an interesting gig. I’d have to do a lot of explaining to the wife if I should return with a massive JBL or Western Electric horn loaded speaker system accompanied by an acoustic lens

Regards
Terry
Old 28th Feb 2015, 6:42 pm   #24
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie View Post
A thought - Is it practical/realistic/cost-effective to stick the membership cards to the rear of the address insert using the same stuff as bank cards use?
Every additional process at Hastings Print takes time and costs money.

If we increase the membership cost some people complain and a few more don't renew, so we need to do what we can to keep increases to a minimum.

Hence the plastic mailers, the inserts printed with the magazine rather than loose sheets, and having the Hastings Print do all the packing and posting for us, which is saving us hundreds of pounds per bulletin.

This is the first time a DVD and membership card have been sent that way so we do need to see how it works. If a significant number do get lost then maybe thicker polythene mailers would help (which would be less cost than an extra process). If it's just a few then that's par for the course - there's always a few damaged or missing each time and it's accepted losses.

As the cards are not individualised it is not a problem to post replacements for the odd few that may get lost, or for members to just pick one up at an event. If you are on the membership system you can get into events with or without a card - the card just speeds it up.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 28th Feb 2015, 6:58 pm   #25
Dickie
Octode

Thanks Paul - that's more or less what I was expecting.

Richard, BVWS member
Old 28th Feb 2015, 8:23 pm   #26
Rob Lines
Retired Dormant Member

Re my post at #15. It wasn't intended as a complaint, just to see if any others had lost theirs. I'll be sending a sae to Martyn Bennet requesting a replacement. As Paul says, there will always be a few losses whatever type of packaging is used.
Old 28th Feb 2015, 11:02 pm   #27
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I can't get there even though my son is now in Edgware but I think anyone who is concerned about not having a membership card is very unlikely to be an imposter-nobody wants to keep anyone genuine out in the cold.! I think I'm pretty safe as the only Ramsbottom member anyway.
Dave W
Old 1st Mar 2015, 11:53 pm   #28
slidertogrid
Octode

I didn't stay for the auction, there was only a couple of lots I had an interest in and to be honest I couldn't be bothered to stay until the end as it makes it a very long day and having to wait until the end to pay means you are stuck until the end once you have bid on one lot.
Can anyone who did stay tell me if the auction was well attended ? There seemed to be a fair few members leaving around 1pm
At the Radiophile events if you only bid for a couple of items you can pay and discreetly collect your items before the end if there are no later lots you want.
At the risk of being shouted down could I suggest that during the half time break members could pay for their lots and leave if there isn't anything they want in the second half of the auction?
It may encourage more people to stay..
The A1 northbound was closed all day because there was a wheelbarrow on the hard shoulder at the Black cat roundabout (despite the highways website stating it would be open by midday) which meant a bit of a detour on the way home. Luckily I chose to believe the traffic announcements on radio 2 rather than the website so I apparently avoided a huge tailback!
Rich

Last edited by slidertogrid; 2nd Mar 2015 at 12:02 am.
Old 2nd Mar 2015, 8:06 am   #29
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Being without a car for the weekend, a pal provided transport.
He had had enough by mid day and wasnt keen on staying any longer.
As there was nothing in the auction that I really wanted, I too left around lunchtime.
Old 2nd Mar 2015, 10:18 am   #30
Paul Stenning
Administrator

We tried allowing people to pay and collect their items during the half-time break at Harpenden once but it didn't work. It took a lot of time to get through those, which meant that the second half started later and the whole day finished later than normal. Then there were people who had paid but wanted to bid in the second half which caused further complications. Plus us porters didn't get a much-needed break. So it won't be happening again.

We do allow the occasional exception if someone has a long journey home or a ferry to catch etc and are only planning on bidding for one or two smaller items in the first half, but that needs to be agreed with Mike before the auction starts. If it applies to you please speak to Mike during the morning viewing period.

I didn't count the numbers but I'd say over half the people attending stayed for the auction. Everything sold (so no need for the lump hammer!) and prices were generally good. We all felt it was a successful auction.

I left just after 5pm, by which time everyone had paid and collected their items, and most had left. So we didn't finish that late really. We had to be out of the hall by 6pm.

Paul Stenning
Old 2nd Mar 2015, 10:41 am   #31
raditechman
Heptode

My Bulletin arrived Friday 27th and was read the same day. I liked the photo of Gerry,s bench. The copy of the film showing the construction of the Crystal Palace Transmission tower was very interesting. Pity that the quality of some parts of the DVD is rather low. No problem with the package or membership card
I did not attend Harpenden as no items in the auction that I required.
I look forward to the 'Man in the white coat' event in June.
John.
Old 2nd Mar 2015, 10:56 am   #32
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by raditechman View Post
Pity that the quality of some parts of the DVD is rather low.
Unfortunately this is due to the quality of the source material we have. At least two of the films this time were from VHS tapes which were rather worn, and Jon Evans had to do a lot of work to get them as good as they are. I believe the Mitcham one in particular required a lot of work on both the picture and sound, and is the best that can be done with the type of equipment and software available.

Often there are only one or two copies of the films or programmes still in existence, so we feel it better to preserve and share them than let them be lost forever.

Paul Stenning
Old 2nd Mar 2015, 11:45 am   #33
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

I agree with your last sentence Paul and having had some attempts myself at converting film material can only admire the results.

The Crystal Palace mast was an amazing effort. I feel if I was in the Health and Safety business I would have nightmares thinking about how people used to work.
Closed Thread