UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jul 2013, 12:54 pm   #21
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Default Re: BVWS Royal Wootton Bassett Meeting - 7th July

It was a superb day yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Firstly:-

To Mr valve thief,

I am disgusted that such a person like yourself is a member of our club and is in and around us at meets, probably chatting to us too,
If you have any sense of guilt (who ever you are) right now you should be feeling pretty uncomfortable and should know that we all feel the same about your activities. YOU ARE NOT WELCOME Here

as Mike rightly said, " OFF!"

Right, rant over.

It was a long day for me, (6:30am - 9pm) and I only got back from holiday late Saturday night too! - Still, it was well worth it.

Many thanks to Mike for the sterling work that he has done over the years and to the rest of the team that make this event, including the hard workers in the kitchen that keep the hunger at bay!
It must take huge amounts of effort.

The combination of bubbly and hearing that Murray had won the final just added to a perfect day!

I'm looking forward to the next one already!!

Cheers
Old 8th Jul 2013, 1:23 pm   #22
Richard
Heptode

Hi

Stunning day, great crowd, thanks to all involved.

Valve thief - scumbag, do the right thing and anonymously post the valve back, was it worth it?

We came on my trike so this limited the space, unable to bring David Huddleston's KB television, did consider strapping it on the top box, but decided it might not make it / get me arrested , and the lack of space prevented me from spending money

There were one or two small sets in the auction I was tempted by, which would have fitted in the top box, but the swmbo wanted to head off in the sunshine so we left as it started.

Richard

Last edited by Richard; 8th Jul 2013 at 1:28 pm. Reason: Added having read about the valve thief
Old 8th Jul 2013, 2:08 pm   #23
bobbyball
Octode

I couldn't make it again but I will have to try and make the next one!
Old 8th Jul 2013, 4:34 pm   #24
ajs37
Heptode

Another great day - and a good celebration of 20 years - my thanks to Mike and the 'workers' for making it so enjoyable.

I came with a car load of equipment and books for delivery to other members and thankfully, it was all delivered! I also sold a couple of things on the B&B stall (bought a couple of things there as well) and spent a lot of money in the auction (I had been saving my pennies for over a year)

I was the lucky bidder to win the Pye M78F for a very good price (it didn't have the HT power unit in it btw) - and it won't be appearing on any auction sites Mike! It is sitting in a display cabinet next to .... my other Pye M78F (black and cream) - it may seem greedy having 2 of these, but they look gorgeous together and I don't believe the apocryphal story about all but 300 being burned at the factory - the burning may have happened, but I think there are a lot more than 300 left in circulation. My 2 won't be disposed of until I shuffle off this mortal coil!

I was also lucky enough to win the Ekco 313 with speaker (just been playing with it - sounds wonderful) and a few other radios including the Italian Radiomariella MW set (110v - works very well).

There were some excellent bargains to be had - I just wish I had the room for some of the wonderful 1930s wooden radios that seemed to be selling cheaply.

When I got home, I expected a bit of "how much?!?" from Mrs Smith, but no - she liked the radios and seemed quite ok about it! My "wearing down and educating" campaign must be bearing fruit, after many years!

Many thanks again for a wonderful day!
Andy
Old 8th Jul 2013, 5:02 pm   #25
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

A prior engagement prevented me attanding this time.
The first WB/TWB that I have missed since I joined the BVWS.

A shame as I obviously missed some desireable Lots in the auction.
However, that probably saved me money, and a pal did buy some items on my behalf.
Old 8th Jul 2013, 6:16 pm   #26
kalee20
Dekatron

A good day! Thanks to Mike, Paul, and everyone who worked hard.

I thought prices were down a bit - I picked up an Ekco PB289 push-button, motor drive jobbie for £48 whereas I'd expected it to go for nearer £60 or so. Similarly the DAC90's and 90a's.

I thought Mike dealt with the missing valve very well, calmly but making it quite clear the level of disgust.
Old 8th Jul 2013, 6:39 pm   #27
Andrewausfa
Octode

Barring the long drive home I had a great time. I had the other motor tuned Ekco, wanted one for ages. I'd also ekco previous comments on the valve thief, not that they will be the sort of person that gives a stuff what others think of their actions.

Thanks to Mike and everyone who organises, porters and finances, Mrs.B for my sponge cake and Jim for the bacon sandwich.

Andrew
Old 8th Jul 2013, 11:18 pm   #28
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I sadly could not get there,but thanks to the Mods for allowing the thief to be named as such.

Whats goes around in life comes around and never forget!
Old 9th Jul 2013, 9:22 am   #29
newlite4
Octode

What a lovely day out, a very British event. Great to see all the regular faces and indulge in some radio banter. I bought the black and chrome Ekco A22 in the auction for £150 so that was my job done for the day, although very tempted by the M78F and the US Army walkie talkie. I was given a great pile of mags and bits from Ron Wicks before the start, thanks Ron and a bottle of Rioja from Rodney, I'll start on that tonight, cheers Rodney! Simon and I were attentive to the rostrum all afternoon amazed by the high prices fetched by the WW1 wireless gear, good to see some of the woodies fetching better prices too.
Anyway, not long before the December RWB meeting, top job Mike and the gang, brilliant organising and hard work, thanks.
Neil
Old 10th Jul 2013, 4:39 pm   #30
Hoveradio
Pentode

Here's a little video I took using my camera of some of the proceedings at WB last Sunday. It seems to need a fairly high spec machine to play well though.

John.

http://s911.photobucket.com/user/hov...F2312.mp4.html
Old 10th Jul 2013, 6:56 pm   #31
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Very good and some nice stuff of course. Must have been hot looking at Mike with the fan going.
Old 10th Jul 2013, 9:41 pm   #32
Paul Stenning
Administrator

It was certainly hot up on the stage, shifting and showing the auction lots under the stage lights...

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 10th Jul 2013, 11:17 pm   #33
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

It goes without saying, thanks to all who put the mega effort in as these meetings/auctions do not just "happen".

Been only to one in RWB and it was a great day, though being so far away it took an overnight stop to get there.

Await with interest in due course when published on BVWS site the prices the lots made.