UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 29th Mar 2006, 9:31 pm   #1
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Telephone Set "F" - military field telephone

OK, not actually a radio, but post re-issued as a success story.

I have recently acquired a couple of military field telephones (telephone set "F") - the first from a local auction (as a free extra when buying a 232 pyramid telephone). This came without a handset attached to the end of its handset cable (which luckily was there), but I noticed that the handset on the 232 was a a bit odd and realised it was really from the "F", so I acquired a replacement handset for the 232 and returned the other to its rightful owner.

That was about as far as I could get until recently I was delighted to obtain a second set "F" from eBay, which arrived yesterday. Having lashed up 3V supplies in each set (using 4 "D" cells in parallel/series for each) and connected them together, they can now:
- ring each other via their magneto bells
- talk to each other
- buzz each other (though with a slight problem at first)

As background for those not familiar with these sets: for some reason each has a button which operates a buzzer (as well as having the magneto bell), and it is in this area that I had a slight problem. The buzzing also sounds in the earpieces if off-hook.

Initially one of the sets only caused the local buzzer to buzz, not that in the other. The buzz was, however, still audible in both earpieces. Substituting some brand new batteries made all the difference. Those I used first weren't quite as juicy as they might have been and couldn't go that extra step.

I must say I was "chuffed to bits" to get them talking to each other this morning

The picture below is the best I can manage with my £5 camera
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	3227  
Old 29th Mar 2006, 10:17 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Telephone Set "F" - military field telephone

They look fun, Dave

I hope you are able to make use of them somewhere, rather than just have them as display pieces.

Nick.
Old 30th Mar 2006, 7:56 am   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

They make a nice intercom. All I need now is someone at the other end
Old 30th Mar 2006, 10:11 pm   #4
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Very nice Dave - Now all you need is a suitable exchange and you are laughing!

Cheers
Sean
Old 30th Mar 2006, 10:28 pm   #5
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

There was a field exchange for these things, and I vaguely recall being taught how to use it in the CCF.

Pete.
Old 30th Mar 2006, 11:06 pm   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Please don't tempt me If I acquired a field exchange, then I would need to keep buying more telephones to hang off it If an exchange turned up at the right price, I must admit that I would be hard pushed to resist the temptation.

At least at the moment I can turn down other 'phones (which do seem suddenly to have started popping up) on the basis that my current two form a nice closed system where they can talk to each other but not to any others.

This all started because I acquired one with another telephone that I bought. It just shows how easily I can get sucked into a new line of collecting
Old 30th Mar 2006, 11:24 pm   #7
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll
Please don't tempt me If I acquired a field exchange, then I would need to keep buying more telephones to hang off it If an exchange turned up at the right price, I must admit that I would be hard pushed to resist the temptation.

At least at the moment I can turn down other 'phones (which do seem suddenly to have started popping up) on the basis that my current two form a nice closed system where they can talk to each other but not to any others.

This all started because I acquired one with another telephone that I bought. It just shows how easily I can get sucked into a new line of collecting
First comes the phones, then the exchange, if you fight it, it will then be a new one with the withdrawn radium painted flaps, new in its case for a fiver.

Earthing, resistance is futile or should that be Earthling, resistance is futile?

Pete.
Closed Thread