UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jun 2012, 4:44 pm   #1
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Cookies

You will no doubt have seen (and probably dismissed) the Cookies message at the top of the page. The use of cookies has not changed and has been explained on the Forum Rules page here https://www.vintage-radio.net/rules.html#cookies for several months.

However due to new European legislation I am now required to inform you of the use of cookies and obtain your explicit consent.

See http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisati...e/cookies.aspx

You have probably seen similar messages on other websites, presented in different ways. Some websites such as eCommerce websites can use "implicit consent" which means that the visitors would reasonably expect cookies to be used there so don't need to be prominently told (though the information must still be available on the website). This website, being a forum, cannot rely on implicit consent, hence the notice above.

The legislation is unclear and inconsistent which is why different websites are dealing with this in somewhat different ways (and why some are just ignoring it).

Just to reiterate, nothing has actually changed with the use of cookies, I just legally need to make you aware of it. Click the red X and carry on as normal.

Thank you.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 20th Jun 2012, 5:12 pm   #2
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Re: Cookies

And there I was thinking that this was yet another benefit of being a member.... Does this mean no packet of chocolate chip in the post?
Old 20th Jun 2012, 5:20 pm   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

No, I'm sorry to disappoint you!

I can give you a tempting photo though...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cookies.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	67853  

Paul Stenning
Old 20th Jun 2012, 6:02 pm   #4
dsergeant
Octode

Presumably having clicked the red button it won't reappear next time I visit?... It does seem a rather large box, on my sites I have a simple one line statement that no cookies are used. And the cookie law is totally unclear on what sites should do if they don't use any cookies..

Dave
Old 20th Jun 2012, 6:18 pm   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Correct, you won't see it again. Your clicking of the dismiss box is linked with your user ID in the database. The only time you will see it is if you have not yet logged in.

The box is a standard "Notice" in the vBulletin software so it was much easier to set it up using that rather than separate code to make something smaller and snazzier.

My understanding is that you only need to inform visitors and gain consent if cookies ARE used. If they aren't used you don't need to do anything. Although a single line message does no harm, and shows you have taken suitable note of the legislation. If you use any sort of third party visitor statistics (such as Google Analytics and even some hit counters) they will use cookies. However the statistics provided by the hosting company (such as Webalizer or Analog) that do not need code adding to the page don't use cookies.

Paul Stenning
Old 20th Jun 2012, 6:33 pm   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I have made the font and therefore the box a bit smaller now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cookies2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	67856  

Paul Stenning
Old 20th Jun 2012, 7:22 pm   #7

This is one of three (yes three) sites I have visted over the last month (20 days anyway) since the new law that have had the cookie message. And I use quite a lot of websites. Well done Paul for getting it right.

Old 21st Jun 2012, 11:44 am   #8
arjoll
Dekatron

Seems quite silly really (the requirement, not what you're doing). I haven't seen it on any other websites, although this is probably the only one I use that's based in the EU.

I have a client who sells into the UK - they have one site but it presents different products, pricing and physical address details depending on the country you log in from. I can guarantee they won't have any of this kind of detail on their site - although it's hosted in Christchurch NZ so there's probably very little anyone could do about it!
Old 21st Jun 2012, 11:56 am   #9
paulsherwin

The rules have been widely criticized and indeed ridiculed. They originate from legitimate concerns about spyware but have ended up as misguided bureaucratic nonsense. Our friends in Brussels come up with this sort of stuff now and then, which member states have to enact in local laws as best they can.

Only companies and organisations located in the EU are affected.
Old 21st Jun 2012, 12:06 pm   #10
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
As usual it takes this site to actually explain what's going on - I was wondering why on earth everyone was asking to do what they've always done!
Many thanks
Glyn
Old 21st Jun 2012, 12:25 pm   #11
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
...everyone was asking to do what they've always done!
I have not seen any other sites mentioning in the announcements that their use of cookies hasn't changed, the only change is that they now need to notify and request consent.

It is in the announcement here though as I feel it is useful for reducing confusion and concern.

Paul Stenning
Old 22nd Jun 2012, 7:00 am   #12
brenellic2000
Octode

The most pointless, self-defeating aspect of this "new improved legislation" (which only the EU and politicians could conjure), is that one now has to agree to accepting cookies on many websites before one can enter the web-site to see if it is worth looking at... by which time it's too late as the cookies will have been put in place, regardless...! If one says no, you can't enter the website!!

Progress, eh?!

Barry
Old 22nd Jun 2012, 10:23 am   #13
Paul Stenning
Administrator

It depends on the type of website and they way the notification is configured. It is technically possible to not place cookies until approval has been given, though at this stage I doubt very many work that way as they (like here) are adding the message onto an existing site.

The only cookies placed here for visitors (not registered members) are the Google Analytics ones. Once someone registers or logs in then further cookies are placed by the forum software itself.

Many eCommerce sites too will only place their own cookie when something is added to the basket, however some will place one straight away so they can show a list of your recently viewed products as you browse around.

I suspect that by the end of the year the rules will have been watered down more so that most sites can carry on as before without needing the notification messages (as long as they have a Cookie Policy somewhere).

I don't think the current ridiculous situation is sustainable.

Paul Stenning
Old 22nd Jun 2012, 1:31 pm   #14
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

I have just been on a Channel 4 site and got a message that I already have SIXTEEN cookies from the site.

What on earth do I/they want with that amount of cookies on my pc?
Old 22nd Jun 2012, 1:37 pm   #15
Paul Stenning
Administrator

This is not the place to discuss other websites specific cookie use and policies.

Paul Stenning
Closed Thread