UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2013, 6:37 pm   #1
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Default Flyback blanking on TV22?

Has anyone tried this modification to enable flyback blanking on a TV22?

The following article seems to say that the tube drive is the 'right way around'
for the mod' and that only a cap' and a resistor are needed but I'm a bit confused as to where I'd take the vertical pulse from.

Any ideas?

http://www.earlytelevision.org/vertical_blaniking.html
Old 21st May 2013, 7:12 pm   #2
IJK2008
Hexode

Default Re: Flyback blanking on TV22?

Hello Boom

I did a similar mod on my American Motorola set - it was explained on a posting on the US "antiqueradio" forum. Hadn't thought to try it on anything else.

Cheers

Ian
Old 21st May 2013, 7:16 pm   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The capacitor seems a little high to me. I would suggest .0047 for a start connected to the frame output anode. J.
Old 21st May 2013, 7:21 pm   #4
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Ian. The problem I have is that in the modification circuit the pulse is taken off from a center trapped transformer but in the TV22 circuit the anode load from the frame output is one winding with no tap.

I've tried connecting the r/c network to either side of the frame coils but neither way around gives a watchable picture.

The other end of the r/c is going to the crt cathode. I'm not convinced this mod' can be done with a TV22.
Old 21st May 2013, 7:21 pm   #5
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
The capacitor seems a little high to me. I would suggest .0047 for a start connected to the frame output anode. J.
That's what I thought. I'll knock it back a bit and try.
Old 22nd May 2013, 3:12 pm   #6
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Right, using a 100k resistor with a .005 cap' in series I connected the resistor to the tube base (kathode) and the cap' to the ECL80 FTB anode the flyback lines totally vanish.

The problem is that the video output is swamped and the line sync is knocked flying giving squiggles/unlocked line over the top half of the picture.

I haven't got around to trying anything else yet but I don't feel that it is radiation from the video lead or FTB doing this. I suspect it is loading the video output stage that is causing the problem.

What to do about it?
Closed Thread