UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jun 2018, 2:44 pm   #1
Jolly 7
Octode

Default Panasonic RQ series radio cassette recorder rewind issue

I have just replaced the belts in my RQ444S cassette recorder and both play and fast forward are now working fine. The tape counter works fine too. The strange thing though is that the rewind button works only when there is no cassette inside. I am not sure why this is, because it plays and fast forwards at normal speeds. Putting the old rewind spool belt back in place does not help. Any suggestions please ?
Old 25th Jun 2018, 4:40 pm   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Panasonic RQ series radio cassette recorder rewind issue

A couple of thoughts, both based on the idea that it is trying to drive the supply spool in rewind mode when there's a cassette loaded, but it can't move the tape :

1) The takeup side brake is not releasing for some reason

2) It is driving the takeup spool in rewind mode (as well as the supply spool) and the 2 spools are thus simply trying to stretch the tape rather than move it.

If you press rewind with no cassette loaded, does the takeup spool carrier turn? If so, looks like (2) and you need to find out why. Perhas some lever not fitted correctly. If the spool carrier doesn't turn, can you turn it freely by hand? If not, check the brake.
Old 25th Jun 2018, 9:17 pm   #3
Jolly 7
Octode

Thanks Tony.
When I press rewind with cassette loaded, the take-up spool carrier doesn't turn. I can also turn it freely by hand. The interesting thing is that if I try to rewind a smaller length cassette e.g. prerecorded 50 mind, it rewinds most of the tape, but just will not move for a 90 minutes cassette. Could this be the sign of an aging motor ?
Old 25th Jun 2018, 11:15 pm   #4
ben
Dekatron

Not the motor. This is almost always caused by a slack belt or slippy idler tyre. You will notice it if tapes (c90s especially) won't rewind fully, but stop 5 minutes or so in. The reverse is often true - ty to fast wind a c90 right to the end.
Closed Thread