UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd May 2017, 4:54 pm   #1
JohnPrendiville
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Bush Radio Tr130

I have a Bush Radio Tr130: it works perfectly: I am using a Silverline Battery PP9. I would like to use a mains adapter. Please can you advise on an adapter's electrical requirements and where should I look for one? E-bay?? etc.
Old 23rd May 2017, 5:46 pm   #2
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Re: Bush Radio Tr130

Hi!

Anything rated about 500mA d.c. current at 9V will be fine but please do make sure you buy a voltage-stabilised one!

It has been my experience that older sets using Germanium a.f. transistors don't take kindly to the rectifier-plus-electrolytic basic ones - the voltage-rise at low volumes, together with the hum ripple, tends to overheat the O/P transistors and destroy them!

A good-quality switched-voltage one from Maplin should be fine, but do check it's advertised as "stabilised/regulated" before you buy!

Chris Williams
Old 23rd May 2017, 9:17 pm   #3
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi John, also check you have the correct polarity out of the unit. The radios do not like reversed polarity!!!

Ed
Old 24th May 2017, 9:14 am   #4
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

The problem with switch mode power supplies is the noise that they kick out especially on the AM bands. This may cause you more problems than it solves. Personally I find that the level of noise on the mains wiring today is so bad that if you use a mains supply even the stronger AM signals are effected. I use batteries to run all my portable radios to reduce the noise levels to more exceptable levels. I get a month or more from a Silverline Battery PP9 running the radio between 3-4 hours a day.
I think the only alternative is to design and build a linear regulated 9v supply with good filtering and screening as there is nothing else suitable on the market.
Old 24th May 2017, 9:56 am   #5
terrykc
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris55000 View Post
Anything rated about 500mA d.c. current at 9V will be fine
500mA?

50mA will be more than enough for a TR130!

If you are trying to save money on batteries, there is a solution which I use in my Grundig Elite Boy.

A battery holder for 6 x AA cells (from Maplin) and 6 AA alkaline cells from Poundland.*

Apart from the initial cost of the holder - which wasn't as outrageous as many of Maplin's prices - you get replacement PP9 substitutes for a pound!

You will also need a PP3 sized connector for the battery box. If you want to make the process reversible, salvage a pair of PP9 connectors from an old PP9.

* Kodak Extralife pack of 4 + 2 extra free. You can get the same batteries - which I've found to be long dated, long lasting and free from leakage - from other pound shops but you don't get the extra 2 free, which puts up the price for 6 from £1 to £1.50
Old 24th May 2017, 10:09 am   #6
Tractionist
Heptode

Sound advice from all ..... I use battery boxes and rechargeable PP's in most of my tranny's these days ....

(If you don't want to change the PP9 connector - take the guts out of your plastic-cased Silverline PP9 [the 'lid' comes off] and solder tails from the new battery box to the underside of the existing Silverline lid terminals. This will then permit you to continue using the PP9 'shell' within your set ..... AKA 'authenticity'.)
Old 24th May 2017, 4:14 pm   #7
Refugee
Dekatron

I use a rechargeable pack with PP9 snaps on it.
A TR82 will do 18 hours a day on a set of 2000mah cells. It takes two goes on a 4 cell charger once a week.
Closed Thread