UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Feb 2015, 12:59 pm   #21
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: What type of reel to reel?

I've a feeling this isn't going to be resolved with just one deck. The OP says he has lots of stereo tapes, yet also has ancient magnetofon tapes. These are two different kettles of fish IMO.
Old 9th Feb 2015, 4:05 pm   #22
Nic-15fl
Hexode

More than 1? but i only got room for 1 tape machine and needs to be possible to stay on a shelf.

PS And I forgot to add that most of the tapes I have are both sides used.
Old 6th Mar 2015, 8:59 pm   #23
Nic-15fl
Hexode

And it should have speed options like on the Beocord 1100.
Old 27th Nov 2015, 6:18 am   #24
Nic-15fl
Hexode

Well, the reel to reel player I want should just be good for general playback of stereo and mono tapes.
Old 29th Nov 2015, 8:59 pm   #25
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Revox A700. Once fixed up, it will do you proud.

Incidentally, just because a tape says Magnetophonband on the box, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is for the early Magnetophon machines - BASF used the term on their boxes into the 1970s. True early Magnetophon tapes are indeed marginally wider than the current standard, but are unlikely to give usable results at domestic speeds and track widths.
Old 30th Nov 2015, 2:20 pm   #26
jamesperrett
Octode

I always wanted a Revox A700 when I was young but had to settle for a Philips N4515 (a very slightly updated version of the N4506) which had most of the facilities but without the finesse. I had to wait a few years before I could afford a Revox. My Revox (a B77) is used for replaying studio masters while the Philips is more suited to domestic tapes but the A700 can handle a wider variety of speeds and I believe it can be fitted with both half and quarter track heads.

When dealing with old tapes in an uncertain condition I prefer to have the tape machine horizontal so that I can watch the tape passing over the head but both these machines can be used either horizontally or vertically.
Old 30th Nov 2015, 3:10 pm   #27
brenellic2000
Octode

The A700 is wonderful machine - but very rare now. From memory, the 1/2 and 1/4 head blocks are easily swapped... if you can find them - but I seem to recall it wasn't as simple as that!

Few decks perform equally as well in horizontal and vertical operation - but knowing which is the better usually requires the owner's manual which is often missing (and rarely read)!
Closed Thread