UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Dec 2015, 10:56 pm   #1
ljones0
Tetrode

Default Grundig party center 700 problem

Hello all!

Just trying to work out a possible problem here. This device is an old (I think dating from the mid 1980s) tape recorder/radio device. You can see a picture of the device here btw.

Almost everything with the device seems to be OK. Radio works (though the frequency band change; LW/SW/MW/FM switch is a little sticky). The EQ works too; tape rewind and forward wind don't seem to be slow. Playing a tape there dosen't appear to be much evidence of wow and flutter.

The only problem seems to be with recording. I've tried chrome/metal type tapes (the device does have a tape type switch). Though the switch dosen't seem to do a whole lot, nothing really not even a crackle or pop through changing it.

Distortion seems to take place when recording on a higher quality tape with the device set in "II/Cr IV/Me pb" mode - there's noticible distortion. In the other mode "I/Fe" there dosen't seem to be any problems.

I tried recording a short piece of audio. This is the original piece of audio; this is the recording on higher quality tape with the device set to II/Cr IV/Me pb; this is on ordinary tape set to "I/Fe".

The recording made at II/Cr IV/Me pb seems to be - well I can only describe it as "grainy" or "crunchy" and with a small degree of elevated noise as well. The other recording dosen't seem to have this problem.

I'm wondering maybe could the bias oscillator be at fault here? Maybe one side or part of it is dead or doing nothing and causing the distortion.

Thanks

ljones
Old 19th Dec 2015, 11:09 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Grundig party center 700 problem

It looks as if the tape type switch just changes the playback equalisation to match chrome recordings made elsewhere, and that this recorder can't actually record on chrome tape.
Old 20th Dec 2015, 2:05 am   #3
ljones0
Tetrode

Intresting! Well all is not lost then I guess -- at least it means it's not faulty and I can just use ordinary tapes. Should be able to get fairly reasonable results if I use normal tapes, then import them to a computer and adjust the frequencies in VLC.

ljones
Old 20th Dec 2015, 2:17 am   #4
paulsherwin

It depends what you're trying to use it for. Radio cassettes like these aren't a good choice if you want to digitize old cassettes. Very good hifi cassette decks can be avaiable for next to nothing and are a much better choice if you can do the maintenance.

In this case, apart from the 'pb' (playback) the giveaway is a single switch position for chrome and metal tapes. These formulations use the same playback equalisation but completely different bias levels.

The better ferric tapes can give good results with basic recorders. The HF lift provided by underbiased tapes like TDK AD can combat the HF rolloff found with most cheap'n'cheerful machines. Maxell UD/XLI tapes can sound just as good as UD/XLII apart from the worse noise levels resulting from the different equalisation.
Old 20th Dec 2015, 6:38 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

As Paul implies, in spite of the brand, this is a cheap, mid-1980s radio/cassette with detachable speakers, probably sourced from Malaysia, Taiwan, Singapore etc and aimed at kids'/teenagers' bedrooms.

So, clean the tape path and enjoy it for what it is, but don't expect too much.
Old 20th Dec 2015, 6:44 pm   #6
paulsherwin

There were a number of these "sheep in wolf's clothing" designs around in the 80s, pretending to be much better systems than they were, though that doesn't mean that they're complete junk of course. I owned a very similar Philips unit in the 80s.
Old 20th Dec 2015, 6:57 pm   #7
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

A typical example is this Pye model TR-3845. It's Philips behind the badge and made in Austria.

A very good performer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TR3845.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	117196  
Old 20th Dec 2015, 7:54 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

The tape transport looks identical. I would be surprised if it's not the same inside, give or take.

LJ, is your Grundig made in Austria too?

N.
Old 20th Dec 2015, 8:48 pm   #9
paulsherwin

Philips carried on making radio cassettes in Austria until well into the 90s, though lots of subassemblies were bought in, probably including the mech shown here. ISTR my Philips was made in Austria, though it would have been a year or two earlier than the models being discussed here

Despite the big SERVO on the front of the Grundig, these mechs had soft touch mechanical controls rather than servo operation as that is normally understood.
Closed Thread