UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Dec 2015, 11:27 pm   #1
stevouk
Retired Dormant Member

Default Dismantling Philips N4307

Hi - hopefully someone can give me some advice.

I'm trying to replace drive belts on a Philips N4307 after cleaning off the ubiquitous treacle residue from the old belts. However I cannot find out how to get to the back of the chassis. I have undone what I take to be all the screws holding it to the unit but it still seems solid.

I notice that there screws on the side of the chassis and on the interior of the cabinet, but I can't see how I can get a screwdriver on to them.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 8th Dec 2015, 4:26 pm   #2
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Dismantling Philips N4307

You have taken the top plate off to clean the chassis, there is nothing to stop you removing the chassis from the wooden case, no further screws, just check the mains lead is not holding the chassis & be careful of the speaker leads. There may also be a connection from the chassis to the wooden case for screening purposes(front centre)

Colin.
Old 8th Dec 2015, 8:51 pm   #3
ricard
Octode

I'm wondering if it's either that the chassis is heavier than you'd expect, especially considering the case is quite light. It could also be that there's a certain stickyness after all these years where the chassis meets the case after having been held together for so long. So a careful pry should separate them with no adverse effects.
Old 8th Dec 2015, 11:49 pm   #4
stevouk
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks - ricard you were quite right, the rubber housing of the four outer screws had dried out and was holding the chassis fast. A little extra pulling apart of these did the trick!
Closed Thread