UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2013, 1:10 pm   #21
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: 19inch colour CRT unique to the UK in 1967?

Hi
I'd agree that 19" was an odd size to choose, but, unlike today, many people with smaller rooms just wanted a colour set that was around the same size as their old black and white one.
It wasn't long before the 22" A56-120X became the standard size, following the squarer 'push-through' look that the mono sets were sporting. The shape of the CRT was less of a problem in America and Japan as they both used masks around the CRT, hence the very different look of the early Sony and Mitsubishi sets.
Glyn
Old 24th May 2013, 1:20 pm   #22
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

My Decca Bradford 1910 does not have a transductor fitted for raster correction unlike the larger flatter 22" screen found in the Decca CS2213. Apparently it was not required in the more bulbouse 19", older 22", and the 25" tubes. I think this apples to all makes of set.
The earliest 19" colour sets that I can remember were the Decca and GEC dual standard colour sets. I do not remember any early continental sets fitted with the 19" colour tube. It's interesting to note that the early ITT/KB CVC5's did not use the 19" tube but went straight for the new squarer 20" tube and was fitted with a raster correction cct.
Old 24th May 2013, 1:30 pm   #23
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Anyone having seen the Thorn 2000 25" might disagree that raster correction was not required! Thorn were on their own in omitting this, and as most 19" sets were downscaled 25" chassis the manufacturers left the circuit in place.
19" push-through tubes had started to look quite dated by the early seventies - I always felt the 19" Thorn 8500 looked much older than it was, especially when viewed againt a 20" CVC5 or GEC hybrid. The impression became firm if the sets were on at the time! (sorry Tas)
Glyn
Old 24th May 2013, 11:39 pm   #24
Tazman1966
Nonode

Thanks Glyn

Sure enough the 19" 8500 could've done with having raster correction but the 17" 8000 etc doesn't really need it - well not much anyway!
Closed Thread