UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Apr 2024, 9:02 pm   #1
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Blackpool NARSA radio rally 2024 21/04/24

Apologies if this has already been flagged up - the 60th Blackpool (NARSA) radio rally is this weekend coming, Sunday 21st April (2024). It's at the Norbreck Castle hotel as usual.

Entry is cash only, so be aware that the entry price has gone up a little to £8 this year.

https://narsa.org.uk/
Old 21st Apr 2024, 10:33 pm   #2
defender
Pentode

Default Re: Blackpool NARSA radio rally 2024 21/04/24

Anyone go?
Is a conversation about the rally allowed?
Old 21st Apr 2024, 10:35 pm   #3
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I did go, but I will await the answer to your question.
Old 21st Apr 2024, 11:19 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

There have been discussions about other rallies and BVWS auctions with catalogues, and sometimes with results. Sticking to vintage equipment would be the best fit to the forum.

David
Old 22nd Apr 2024, 8:48 am   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Somehow I missed the notice of this, so didn't go, but I would be interested to hear how it went, with the hope of attending if it is repeated in the future.
Old 22nd Apr 2024, 10:38 am   #6
Radio Wrangler

The only notification to the forum was much less than a week before the event itself, and so close to the weekend, most people have already decided what they're doing at that weekend.

To have any useful effect, there has to be enough notice for us to put it on the calendar, for people to notice it, and for them to have enough time to make/change plans.

For me, Blackpool is a 4-5 hour drive each way and a hundred quid's worth of Diesel. It becomes feasible if I can combine a trip with some other reason for being in the area.
, and that takes forward planning.

David
Old 22nd Apr 2024, 12:09 pm   #7
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I apologise for the last minute "D minus 4-5 days" notification about the date of the rally - I am in absolutely no way associated with it, other than as a habitual visitor - it's one of only two that I still go to more or less every year. I noticed no-one else had flagged it up yet, so I did, last minute, as has been said.

It's a long journey out for us from Tyneside as well - not quite as far as from Fife, but for the past decade or so we have been making the rally only half of the reason for the day out with some other planned attraction or venue which is beyond our usual roaming range to visit on the way back, so we aren't only expending the fuel, cost of food etc, for the purposes of visiting the rally alone.
Old 23rd Apr 2024, 1:09 am   #8
William78
Triode

I went to the rally. It was pretty busy with good attendance by radio clubs. The bigger traders that used to go to Blackpool no longer seem to attend.There were about 70 stands/stalls according to the program.

There was plenty of old components and equipment to buy, and lucky dip boxes.

I got various stuff for little money, sadly some of it silent key items. One device looked interesting so I bought it just for something to investigate.

It turned out to be the DSB80 kit from a Ham Radio Today article (March 1983). It is a direct conversion 80 metre receiver and a DSB/CW transmitter of about 3 or 4 watts. I won't be transmitting with it but after a minor soldering repair I hooked up a metre length of wire for an aerial and it picked up some hams on lower side band clearly. I was impressed for such a simple direct conversion receiver.

See photo.

William
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSB80.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	296758  
Old 23rd Apr 2024, 1:56 am   #9
Radio Wrangler

None of the major dealers at Blackpool?

So if someone resident outside of the London area is trying to decide between splurging on a new Ikensu 4000 Super or the MegaDXblaster linear for his existing rig, where's he ever going to compare them in the flesh? Have the main importers given up on selling their wares?

I suppose that if you've got to get on a plane, there is still a choice of Dayton or Friedrichshaven, but that's expensive.

It's several years since Jaycee, the last amateur radio shop in Scotland was closed down. It looks like the rest of the UK is following suit. I was at the GMDX meeting a couple of weeks ago. It seems that DXers here get influenced by what DXers in other countries report using, buying sight-unseen.

I suppose it could stimulate home construction and kits and a resurgence in technical knowledge.

David
Old 23rd Apr 2024, 8:21 am   #10
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I would say that the Blackpool rally has been gradually shrinking for as long as I have been going to it - when I first went there in the mid nineties every available bit of space, including the narrow corridor behind the main hall and the balcony above that, was utilised, and there were usually two, if not three big-name dealers there. None this time.

This is in no way the fault of the organisers, it simply reflects the state of the hobby itself - less people to buy stuff, so less reason for traders to travel long distances for little reward, therefore fewer main traders at rallies for people to buy from, so less reason for visitors to go, it's a self-feeding cycle.

We will continue to go to rallies like Blackpool for as long as reasonably possible but as I said, for the last 10 years at least, we have been going there for a relatively short time before moving on to something else like a computer museum, steam railway, stately home or some other attraction which is in the area or on our way back home.
Old 23rd Apr 2024, 8:33 am   #11
AdrianH
Octode

I went to the rally and thought it was well attended by visitors.
I will be honest and say I was basically attending to hand over a piece of Military transceiver to another VMARS member and pick up a few things from the GQRP club stand.
Other items I did pick up were a couple of plastic project boxes and a 1952 ARRL book.
I saw very little old valve gear/junk. Then again the days of the overflowing benches of that disappeared many years ago as time marches on. Computers by the dozen. But the venue is only about 45 mins away so not that far to consider it a long trip.

Adrian
Old 23rd Apr 2024, 12:49 pm   #12
Reelman
Octode

For me, it used to be better when it was the same date as Golborne. I used to go to Golborne in the morning with still enough time to visit the rally at Blackpool afterwards.

Peter
Old 23rd Apr 2024, 2:12 pm   #13
Cobaltblue

This Rally is done for this year time to close

Cheers

Mike T
Closed Thread