UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Nov 2010, 1:24 pm   #61
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: TV meetup in Solihull and collection of bits-and-bobs.

Nice one, Mike!

Not only that, you've managed to clone John and converted Chris to a horse!
Old 7th Nov 2010, 1:51 pm   #62
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Thanks Mickey for yesterday, what a brilliant interesting day. Have never seen so many dual standard colour sets working and that CVC1 just got better throughout the day until it was outshining everything by the end of the day. BTW I can still smell the solder fumes and those hot tellies even now.
Old 7th Nov 2010, 2:04 pm   #63
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid tellies View Post
BTW I can still smell the solder fumes....
Real solder for real tellies!

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 7th Nov 2010, 2:38 pm   #64
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Love the pics! You beat me to it! Mind you by the look of Jon's face he must be worried about something.
Something odd must have happened when we were playing around with that G6 with the screening cover removed. I had a sort of shrinking feeling driving back down the M40 and just put it down to an excess of chocolate biscuits but I had a hell of a job attempting to climb into my lorry this morning and I've now discovered my feet won't reach the pedals.. J.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scared...JPG
Views:	186
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	42405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Albion cab 3.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	42406  
Old 7th Nov 2010, 2:49 pm   #65
harvestgold
Hexode

I enjoyed the day thoroughly and it was great to meet so many really nice people, as well as seeing so many wonderful sets, of course! Thanks to Mike again for organising it all and for making me so envious of his collection! By the way, it was my old Ekco set that John powered up, which made my day when it came to life. It has now gone to its new owner with every chance of producing a superb picture.

Neil.
Old 7th Nov 2010, 4:27 pm   #66
Duke_Nukem
Octode

A great day out, great to meet up with so many people and thanks to Mikey for hosting it. And as if that wasn't enough I turned up just in time for the pub outing too !

I swapped a tr*ns*st*r*s*d Philips for a proper Ekco TS1114 - thanks Neil, I was expecting the set to be a parts doner but its way too good for that.Attached a photo of the ultra-ultra-wide-screen picture that John coxed out of it and also a pic of Mikey's immaculate posh new bathroom with a built-in TV.

TTFN,
Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	itsAlive_Alive.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	42412   Click image for larger version

Name:	modernisation.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	42413  
Old 7th Nov 2010, 4:29 pm   #67
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

It was a superb day although very long, I got home at 12.20am. I thoroughly enjoyed myself working on the sets with others, The dual standard colour sets performed excellently all day, they were brilliant. A real big thanks to Mikey for letting me take home a very tidy Murphy A823 set too that was originally sold in Bournemouth!

It was great to meet lots of like minded people from the forum and be able to talk tellies all day without anyone falling asleep!

Mike, thanks a million mate for organizing this and being a great host. May there be many more!!

Cheers
Old 7th Nov 2010, 4:52 pm   #68
Mikey405
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort
I had a hell of a job attempting to climb into my lorry this morning and I've now discovered my feet won't reach the pedals..
Very good pictures John.

Thanks again everyone for an excellent and enjoyable day. I'm just off to feed the ducks on Birmingham Business Park with the HUGE numbers of left over biscuits lest I eat them myself.
Old 7th Nov 2010, 5:16 pm   #69
Steve_P
Dekatron

Why not bring them to Golborne?

Good day Mike, and for the record I had an empty car when I came down but drove home with a full one. Thanks to all concerned, especially our host.

HKS must run fast judging by that picture. No wonder he shrank on the way home....

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 7th Nov 2010, 7:35 pm   #70
ALANS ANITAS
Rest in Peace

Hi

Many thanks Mike for a wonderful day.

With Lee managing the soldering iron, I was manning the DVM checking the huge number of 4.7Meg resistors in the dual standard Bush's focus chain, whilst most were high resistances were high, it was most satisfying when an open circuit one was found. Mike's stock of spares was raided, and a very good focus was obtained, not bad for a 42 year old set.

Previously, the CVC1, was repaired, and finally trouble with the A823A's frame time base was repaired although a peculiar interlace fault remained.

I arrived at 9.15 am and left at 10.30.pm. A most satisfying day. Roll on the next.

Regards

ALAN
Old 7th Nov 2010, 7:35 pm   #71
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Great pictures. Trev came to pick up his tape recorder and record player this afternoon. I got home at about 12.30am this morning with just one stop and driving through a heavy squally bit of weather between Worcester and Cheltenham.
Old 7th Nov 2010, 8:20 pm   #72
murphyv310
Dekatron

Looks like you had a good day, I wish I come but circumstances were such I couldn't afford it.
I like the ozonizer in the bathroom, wonderful idea for keeping the bathroom fresh!
Poor John though I doubt he needs a new PCL805, in the meantime he will need to be careful not to turn on any sets that have been lying for a while as the bang will sound like a bomb going off
Old 7th Nov 2010, 9:56 pm   #73
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

That Ekco TS1114 was an easy one for 'first light'. I snipped the mains buffer cap adjacent to the PZ30 and plugged it in. Valve heaters and a timebase whistle that soon subdued due to the usual Visconol acting like a 100k resistor. I pulled the chassis out together with the very thin [wine glass thin....] CRM121B and snipped the Visconol. [Jon was still in the very small room and really had nowwhere to run..]
Switching on produced the frame collapse seen in the pic. Removing the top cap of the SP61 frame output valve and touching the control grid produced a slight vertical scan. This proves the CRT, line transformer, frame scan coils etc are all fine and a basic recap should sort this one out. The frame generator is a gas Thyratron 6K25 that usually causes frame jitter when faulty so I reckon it's down to the caps. A very easy assessment of yet another great receiver. Given time and capacitors I would have enjoyed finishing it off but like a garage mechanic, I really only feel at home using my own tools in my own workshop. I'm sure you know the feeling. Over to you Jon. J.
Old 7th Nov 2010, 10:32 pm   #74
Mikey405
Octode

Well, if anyone fancies downloading all the photos then the link is below, but beware - the file is the better part of 500MB so may take some time to download. I'm guessing about a week with a 56K modem although it should be considerably quicker with a 10Mb broadband connection or similar.

http://www.oldtechnology.net/misc/20...20Solihull.zip

Thanks all.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 7th Nov 2010, 10:36 pm   #75
Mikey405
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310
I like the ozonizer in the bathroom, wonderful idea for keeping the bathroom fresh!
I keep the EHT lead disconnected and flapping somewhere vaguely near the chassis. After an hour the stench of poisonous ozone is overpowering so it stops me loafing in the bath for too long.
Old 8th Nov 2010, 1:14 am   #76
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey405 View Post
Well, if anyone fancies downloading all the photos then the link is below, but beware - the file is the better part of 500MB so may take some time to download. I'm guessing about a week with a 56K modem although it should be considerably quicker with a 10Mb broadband connection or similar.

http://www.oldtechnology.net/misc/20...20Solihull.zip
Some excellent photos there, well worth the 5 minutes it took them to download here.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 8th Nov 2010, 3:32 am   #77
G8KBG Tony
Pentode

Thanks Mike for organising and hosting a brilliant day!

It was great to meet up with old friends and meet some new ones.

Thanks again Mike, and you did make sure that Baird was turned off didn’t you? And that Bush. Oh, and don’t forget the Ekco…

Tony
Old 8th Nov 2010, 9:28 am   #78
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
......I pulled the chassis out together with the very thin [wine glass thin....] CRM121B and snipped the Visconol. [Jon was still in the very small room and really had nowwhere to run..]...
You should have taken out the CRT and given it to Chris to hold I think there would have been a Jon shaped hole in the wall.

(This will only be meaningful if you were at the NVCF a few years ago when Chris, Jon and a few others were gathered near the entrance with a CRT....)

Sorry I couldn't make it to Solihull - sounds like you all had a great time.
Old 9th Nov 2010, 12:03 am   #79
Tazman1966
Nonode

Yes indeed, some really good photos in there Mike. See if you can capture the CVC1 in an even better light for your site. It really is outstanding.
Old 9th Nov 2010, 1:28 am   #80
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Just wondered if any of the excellant pictures are going to be put up on our Facebook group.
Closed Thread