UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jul 2018, 3:08 pm   #1
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

Default Murphy A168M Cabinet

I have three Murphy A168M radios. None have been fired up in the last 5 years.

1. This was bought new when we first had electricity. It has been used for many years and has never been spannered. Cabinet has flaking varnish.
2. This was bought recently at a junk sale for £2 and could be used for spares. The cabinet is similar to No1 and is pictured.
3. This was given to me as "you are interested in radios". This is said to come from Chatsworth. The varnish has some cracks but is in quite good condition. Should I just use some Mansion polish?

How can I improve 1 and 2 with little effort. I do not wish to make them lose all their history.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010172.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	165759   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010173.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	165760  
Old 8th Jul 2018, 4:08 pm   #2
John10b
Nonode

Default Re: Murphy A168M Cabinet

I am no expert but Using fine sandpaper I removed all the old flaky varnish and then applied Danish Oil. I was very surprised how good it looked, but please remember I am only a novice when it comes to wooden cabinets.
There are many threads on this subject if you care to take a look.
Cheers
John
Old 8th Jul 2018, 7:06 pm   #3
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

The veneer is thinner than thin. Sanding without going through to the white carcass is very difficult. Dry scraping with a proper cabinet scraper is easier.
Danish oil is easy and give a modern low gloss finish and lightens the wood slightly which looks better.
Old 8th Jul 2018, 9:54 pm   #4
music-centre
Heptode

I had good results on a large very scruffy Braun set using paint/varnish remover but this was around 8-10 years ago and whether the current products on sale are as effective I don't know - they probably need to be safer now. I would think its very easy to damage edges and corners when using sandpaper.
With the one that is in reasonable condition I would just touch up the worst areas with some coloured varnish and give it a coat of scratch cover polish when its dry.
Steve.
Old 9th Jul 2018, 9:03 am   #5
John10b
Nonode

Steve you are quite right regarding damaging the edges if you are too vigorous with sandpapering. So take great care if you decide to try that method.
As I said in my previous post I’m a novice when it comes to Wood Cabinets, there are many posts on the subject well worth reading in this forum.
Cheers
John
Closed Thread