UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Apr 2016, 1:32 am   #1
steptoesyard
No Longer a Member

Default Philips N1700

I`ve just been given one of these machines by a work colleage. It has been sat, in original wrapping and box, and is in mint condition, for the last 30 years.

I understand that the belts will be shot etc, but after sorting the basics is there any chance that it will work?

I`ve had no dealings with the Philips formats, so not really sure what I`m up against here!
Old 6th Apr 2016, 2:05 am   #2
whiskas
Octode

Default Re: Philips N1700

That's a nice find if you're interested in old video formats (as I am)
It's only worth doing up though if you want to make use of it - otherwise best offered unrestored/untouched to an enthusiast.
If you do intend to actually use it and restore it (quite a big job) there are people on here with plenty of knowledge who can help.
However, should you decide to flog it on, let me know - I would be interested
Good luck either way!
Old 6th Apr 2016, 9:49 am   #3
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Can't say I have ever seen an N1700 with gooey belts but then again it's a long while since I have been around one. The panel underneath is easy to undo and open and this reveals the power supply,there is a couple spring clips at the side of this which allows the supply to swing out, this will reveal the drum and capstan motors and their associated belts. A 'very' slight picture weave (side to side wobble) is normal on an N1700 probably due to the primitive servos?..but you should not be able to notice this until you are close up to the screen, if it's any worse than very slight then obviously belts and lubrication areas (shaft etc) are first port of call.

The first thing however is to get hold of a good (mechanically) tape. The cartridge design of these has meant that a few now that are stiff or even seized and can give the impression of something is wrong with the machine. On the tape cartridge underneath there is a brake in the left hand corner,you can use a screwdriver to swing this away from the cog and with the front protector flap open you can pull the tape out and see if it all moves freely.When you have finished (and the brake still lifted) you can wind it back in with the main centre cog.
These are available with 180 min tapes but It's probably best you use a low time (thicker) tape in the first instances of starting up a moth balled machine.
The motors are quite noisy in operation but this is normal and can be quite useful as they basically tell you what they are doing (if they have lost a ct pulse for example ). You will also learn to distinguish a good tape head wrapping noise from a bad one (sort of crispy whine) where the tape is jamming etc.
One more thing IIRC - the machine will not operate with the top cover removed due to light hitting a sensor.
Have fun as these are on the whole are quite excellent machines.

Last edited by cheerfulcharlie; 6th Apr 2016 at 10:15 am.
Old 6th Apr 2016, 9:18 pm   #4
steptoesyard
No Longer a Member

Thanks for the tips, I`m looking forward to having a fiddle with this now!
Old 6th Apr 2016, 9:49 pm   #5
The_Archiver
Pentode

You've got yourself a lovely machine in what you've described as great condition. Complete replacement belt sets are available from mfbfreaks.com in Holland, but knowing next to nothing about electronics, capacitors on the power supply board would be the first port of call for changing [after remnants of old belts have finally been removed ], then lubrication of moving parts, cleaning head drum etc. Many other much more knowledgeable members can give you expert advice.
Be aware, that you have a very valuable machine. If you decide to, please don't be tempted to part with it for less than it is worth.
All the best with the restoration!

Phil
Old 7th Apr 2016, 2:30 am   #6
Maarten
Dekatron

In great condition and still in the box, that is a nice find indeed. Could you, if possible, take a picture for me of the box label? It is a somewhat larger label with the type number, a code number and probably the normal type label on it?
Old 7th Apr 2016, 3:40 pm   #7
steptoesyard
No Longer a Member

Yes I can do that for you, I can`t do it until next week though as the machine is on my bench at work, and I am on leave this week, so will be next week sometime

Thanks, if I need belts I will look them up. I will report back once I have given it an initial look over and power up. I`ve got tapes that were with it and will check them over first too.

When you say very valuable, how valuable do you mean?? Out of curiosity...
Old 7th Apr 2016, 9:23 pm   #8
The_Archiver
Pentode

In terms of value, in the condition you mention, and if tapes are available with it, a couple of hundred quid has been the case in recent years on a well known auction site.
I have two N1702's (plus a N1500) with loads of tapes of both formats still to archive, and as you also have tapes, you may well unearth a gem or two which will also make the tapes extremely valuable.
Inspect each tape thoroughly, however, before even attempting to play in the machine...
Phil
Closed Thread