UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Mar 2016, 7:10 pm   #1
GeoffB17
Tetrode

Default Matsui VCR

Are VCRs considered 'vintage' yet?

Don't see many advertised 2nd hand, and I'm not sure I'd risk buying a 2nd hand one anyway, but the one I have isn't working anymore working, and I still have PILES of tapes.

I've got a MATSUI V888, and when it was working it seemed fairly good. I think the problem is primarily mechanical, now it will NOT accept a tape, previously it would accept, engage, then stop. Prior to that, it would work once warmed up, but not if cold.

I'm told that only Currys used to repair these, but not now.

What would be the chance of repairing such a machine?

Geoff Barnard
Old 18th Mar 2016, 7:15 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Matsui VCR

Should be repairable and a common fault was belts plus dirty mode switch easily rectified if carefully cleaned.

Trying to think if there were any fuses or fusible resistors that failed.
Old 18th Mar 2016, 8:22 pm   #3
mark pirate
Dekatron

I agree that it is fixable, it should be reasonably easy to clean the mode switch, but you have to be careful to align the timing marks when reassembling.

Mark
Old 18th Mar 2016, 8:51 pm   #4
paulsherwin

They aren't advertised second hand because almost nobody wants to buy them. If you ask around amongst friends and family I'm sure you'll find somebody has an unwanted VCR sitting in the loft or garage.

Common faults in VCRs are a dirty mode switch and a tired main belt, as mentioned above.
Old 18th Mar 2016, 8:54 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Try charity shops - but as Paul says, you often have to ask as they sometimes throw them away before they even make it to the shop front.

I've seen many really good Sony and Panasonic machines for £5 or so recently.

N.
Old 18th Mar 2016, 9:21 pm   #6
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

Yes, the mechanism state mode switch was a common offender in many different make VCRs. With the switch apart, I used to clean the contacts with a small amount of metal polish such as Autosol cream and then finally clean it with IPA making sure there's no trace of any polish in the switch assembly including the contacts. Depending on the type of switch, a minute amount (hardly any really) of grease was then applied to the contacts.
As has been pointed out, it's important to observe any timing marks, usually in the shape of triangles but sometimes dots, before removing the switch from the deck.

I quite often come across VCRs at our local car boot sale and have purchased several through this route. I picked up a late model Panasonic with a good spec for only £4. An old Ferguson FV26D, the one with picture in picture, circa 1988 was had for just £3. An ex schools Philips N1702, circa 1978, together with a box of tapes for just £10.

Regards
Symon.
Old 18th Mar 2016, 10:15 pm   #7
1955APREN
Hexode

THE matsui name was only used by currys and dixions the unit were made by orion The vx888 ( if think right ) was the only one to have teltext
fitted . The following might help with you problem
is the idler a gear or a rubber tyre (this will help to know the deck type)
Is the cassette lamp on
The mode sw's on some mod's did give trouble but I think this was more
of a problem with later units.
As you say it as been working after it as warmed up, this sound that it might be a capacitor in the power supply.
Regards Derrick
Old 18th Mar 2016, 11:22 pm   #8
GeoffB17
Tetrode

Thanks for comments so far.

Yes, my mistake, the unit is VS888, and yes, it is the one with teletext (although that's academic now as tt is no longer transmitted).

I'll try to work out what is the mode switch.

The drive belt on this machine was accessible from the bottom of this machine, and the belt seems to be OK. I tried (temp) changing the belt for a normal band, and it made no difference. The problem seemed to be something inside connected with the loading of the tape.

As already stated, the machine was working.

Then it began to get reluctant, sometimes it worked, othertimes it accepted the tape, tried to run the tape, then stopped and ejected. Once the machine warmed up, it would operate OK.

Then it became more reluctant, it would accept and load a tape, but would always stop and eject, or just turn off.

Finally it would not even load the tape at all.

In spite of the above, the device turns on ok, all lights/indicators operate normally, seems to be working electronically. Just not mechanically.

I have a lot of tapes recorded LP on this machine, and I'm sure they'll play back better on this machine, if I can get it working again.

The 'Orion' name could well be helpful, so a big thank you for that.

Geoff
Old 19th Mar 2016, 9:02 am   #9
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffB17 View Post
Are VCRs considered 'vintage' yet?
Yes.
Old 19th Mar 2016, 10:20 am   #10
Nicklyons2
Octode

If you're not experienced at repairing electronic equipment or the comparatively simple machanics of a cassette recorder or record player, I'd leave it alone and get a worker. the British Heart Foundation shops have an electrical section with tested equipment. For example the Barnsley branch has VHS machines of 'proper' makes, machines which were £300-£400 for £10 sometimes less. In London they're about a fiver more. The guys on the 'car bootys' won't even take them any more "we can't give 'em away".

In short even I can't be bothered, there's a mega-glut of good working machines which no-one wants. I've around a dozen 'as-new' machines lined up like the steam locos in the Barry Island scrapyard, just too good to take to the skip. Just occasionally someone asks for one and the pile goes down by one. If you were a bit nearer I'd say come over and you can have one. Posting one would be dearer than you going to your nearest BHF charity shop and just buying one.
Old 19th Mar 2016, 12:30 pm   #11
Rubberfingers
Pentode

Put a "wanted" ad on your local Freecycle or Freegle group, you'll probably get several offers!.
Old 20th Mar 2016, 10:59 pm   #12
ben
Dekatron

Post a photo of the unit as seen from the front, and with cover removed, should jog our memories. The symptoms suggest that there`s a dirty cass-in leaf switch and in one Orion/matsui model there was a set of two loading belts which also made the unit spit tapes out or not load properly.
Old 24th Mar 2016, 5:10 pm   #13
steve1010uk
Pentode

Is this the model with the unreliable limiter post assembly near the audio control head? if so check the metal pin has not fallen out , it was a very common fault.
Old 30th Mar 2016, 11:49 am   #14
Sanbeta
Hexode

All the comments above are correct and quite sad really.
Indeed if you are looking for a really top high end vcr now is the time to buy.
Mode switches are the most common issue after time to VHS models.
Bad belts and the occasional dry capstan bearing or gear sticking on it's shaft are another.
Also some chassis designs with the white plastic pressed into a metal board can crack in high tension places too.
Another issue I see occasionally are vcr's used in a smoking environment, usually a give away is yellow/browning to white plastic parts and inside the casing around the vent holes.
This cause numerous issues and needs either thorough cleaning to the vital parts or removing entirely.

..Kevin
Closed Thread