UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 5th Aug 2018, 7:23 pm   #1
Beardyman
Hexode

Default Bush VHF81

After what seems like an age I finally got around to finishing off the Bush VHF81 that has been languishing on the bench these last few weeks.
A very straightforward set to work with, no major issues apart from the dreaded tuning cord but with the help of the trader sheets from this website it was achieved.
The HT capacitor re-formed very well indeed, all the valves seemed intact although the UL84 is quite stained.
Both the scale bulbs were seized into their holders but I found that RS do some MES holders which, after a little fettling, will fit inside the original holders. They also seem to be expanding their range of small bulbs too, they stock a 6.5V 120mA which was close enough to the original of 6.3V 115mA. I've found that RS prices are very reasonable in the great scheme of things.
Oddly all the resistors in this particular set over 10K were well over their 20% tolerance, some as much as 50%. All the Hunts capacitors were as dust! C46 (5uF) was hovering around the 10uF region as well. The remaining capacitors were very well behaved.
I think the radio spent a lot of time in a kitchen or the previous owners were extremely heavy smokers! The chassis was coated in an almost tar like substance, which finally succumbed to acetone & a great many cotton buds.
The case has seen better days, the veneer had lifted all over, probably a damp or wet environment.
As this radio was destined for my motorcycle workshop I salvaged what veneer I could for other projects & after a good rub down was painted with satin black paint. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it looks!
After the addition of an internal 1A fuse & a new mains lead it was ready for the lamp limiter. At first it seemed to be as dead as a doornail but after some application of switch cleaner to the wave change switches we had LW & MW, VHF was very very quiet, suspiciously so. I was expecting the usual off-station hiss, it wasn't until I found Radio 2 that the set really showed itself off. A lovely tone, something I could listen to for hours whilst fettling the bikes. All in all I'm very pleased with it & all for the princely sum of £17!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0106.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	167088   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0107.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	167089  
Old 5th Aug 2018, 8:04 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush VHF81

With that black cabinet it looks almost identical to the VHF80 which is exactly the same set but in a bakelite cabinet. They are very good sets and give a very good account of themselves. There are 7 valves and one of the UF89's is used as an RF amp on AM so MW and LW are extremely sensitive and generally pull in stations that other sets miss (mine picks up Radio Caroline with little trouble). On FM, the extra UF89 is used as an additional IF amplifier and this means that FM works where other sets fail. You won't get the interstation hiss...I don't know of any valve sets that does. It has a small amount of negative feedback in the output stage which greatly improves the audio quality. Bush packed a lot into small set. It even has an isolated recording socket.
Old 6th Aug 2018, 8:07 am   #3
Beardyman
Hexode

Thank you Sideband, I didn't know that regarding off station noise.
You are spot on about the MW/LW selectivity, considering it is only using an internal ferrite rod aerial it manages to pull in some stations far better than my other sets.
Old 6th Aug 2018, 8:24 am   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Well done from me too. These sets are compact, reliable, and sound amazing for their size and simplicity.

Your refinishing looks very smart too.

N.
Old 6th Aug 2018, 11:41 am   #5
ajgriff
Nonode

For me this is the right kind of upcycling. With the severe veneer damage the set could easily have been scrapped or stripped for parts. Thanks to your imagination and skill I'm sure it will serve you well in the workshop for many years to come. Well done.

Alan
Old 6th Aug 2018, 12:03 pm   #6
MurphyNut
Heptode

Great job, I believe this was the last valve radio Bush made. I'm on the lookout for one, they always seem to be well respected by those who own them.
Old 6th Aug 2018, 8:45 pm   #7
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I agree that these are great little sets, as are the bakelite VHF80 version, but the wooden ones do sound that bit better. As you have found they often need a lot of capacitors and some resistors replacing, but they are easy to work on with a neat vertical chassis. Switches etc are normally fine with a bit of contact cleaner.

The UL84 and UY85 often look like they have lived a hard life but still work fine.

I have to say it looks quite smart in black too. A good solution in this case, and a great workshop radio.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 6th Aug 2018, 9:28 pm   #8
paulsherwin

Always good to see a rough one saved rather than scrapped for parts.

I think they were made until 1968.

I have a number of radios in poor condition which I don't have the skill to return to pristine condition (if it's possible at all). I always think returning them to usable condition is a valid objective even if they'll never end up in a museum.
Old 7th Aug 2018, 8:05 am   #9
Beardyman
Hexode

Many thanks to all who commented, very much appreciated.
It was in a sad condition on arrival but I thought its only for the workshop so looks aren't really important. I'd heard they have a better-than-average sound & one just happened to pop up on a well known auction site. My wood working skills are extremely limited, I'm more at home with metal! You can weld metal!
Although the original tuning cord had snapped the cord to the FM tuner hadn't which, gathering from the trader sheets, was a lucky thing, that states the tuner has to be replaced in its entirety! I'm sure something could have been done regardless. The date on the HT capacitor was 1963 so although venerable it is still a relative youngster!
The next in line is a Ferguson 461 of which I have very fond memories as a young lad.
Thanks to all once again.
Old 11th Aug 2018, 9:37 pm   #10
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

A 'well done' from me too. I have one of these sets in daily use, and I'm almost tempted to do a black paint job on it after seeing how good yours looks! Good work.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 12th Aug 2018, 6:27 pm   #11
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Nice one! I've got a VHF81 here - as others have noted it's impressively-sensitive on both MW/LW and FM because of the intelligent use of all the valves on all the wavebands.

I had the same issue with the dial-lamp holders: they appear to be made from some sort of strange hard rubbery-material and had decayed in a way that had corroded themselves to the brass outer shells of the bulbs. I've fitted modern Nylon bulbholders (ten for £1 at a recent radio-rally) to solve the issue.

Fed from a decent outdoor VHF antenna (rather than using the short-dipole built into the rear cardboard) I can happily hear stations from 150 miles away under normal conditions and during the summer's Sp.E season I've been getting French/Spanish stations at decent quality.
Old 14th Aug 2018, 9:17 am   #12
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

A great write up. I have always wanted one of these for my collection.
Closed Thread