UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd May 2020, 12:53 pm   #1
Christoffrad
Hexode

Default PYE 76 frame antenna mod

I have a Pye 76 which was bought for me some years ago. I recently had it out of the case to strip and clean the volume control and made an interesting discovery. I had wondered why it had a frame antenna inside since it is not a 76F. I found that someone has added the frame antenna. It looks mechanically authentic but it's an electrical nonsense! One end is connected to 1st tuning capacitor C38 and the two LW and MW antenna coils are wired in series and the other end unconnected so this is nothing more than a long wire!
Since this frame antenna has been nicely mechanically fitted I am wondering how practical it would be to correctly wire each of the frame windings into the set. Obviously it would be necessary to enable them to resonate appropriately and I don't really want to disturb the structure and authenticity of the original radio. But if for example it were feasible to tack the MW coil with an additional trimmer across L4 and the the LW similarly across L5 without having to touch existing trimmers C37 and C3 It could be a worthwhile excercise.
Somebody will tell me this is a mad idea I suppose ....
Any suggestions?

Chris
Old 23rd May 2020, 1:21 pm   #2
AdrianH
Octode

Default Re: PYE 76 frame antenna mod

Hello Chris;

if you look at the pictures I posted in one of your previous posts on the Pye you may be able to work out the differences between our radios. As far as I could ascertain, I was missing the two coils under the chassis, so had assumed that the two coils on the frame replaced these electrically. So I would say possible to do, would probably need to be aligned again for the MW and LW bands front end tuning but think the rest would be OK.

Adrian
Old 23rd May 2020, 4:47 pm   #3
Christoffrad
Hexode

Here is a copy of the Pye76F front end

Last edited by AC/HL; 23rd May 2020 at 8:16 pm. Reason: Copyright schematic removed
Old 23rd May 2020, 4:58 pm   #4
Christoffrad
Hexode

And here is the Pye76 front end
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pye76 front end.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	206560  
Old 23rd May 2020, 9:28 pm   #5