UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Apr 2020, 10:34 am   #101
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: CP90 PYE 15” TV, no power led or picture. Buzzing sound

I don't know for this exact model and revision, but in general HR transformers were as reliable as the original. In this case, particular revisions of the original may last shorter than their equivalent but at least a good few years.
Old 25th Apr 2020, 12:58 pm   #102
Kyle__B
Banned

It's not really possible to give a lifespan for something like this, it depends on too much. But if it's been 20 or 30 years and it breaks then you figure fair enough.
Old 25th Apr 2020, 1:55 pm   #103
Red to black
Nonode

I have come across HR/Diemen replacement transformers fail anywhere between 5 and about 8 years, which was often longer than the original lasted!!!
People hung on to stuff a lot longer, stuff also mostly lasted a lot longer.

It just goes to show how much things and build quality have changed over the years, even within the last one or two decades.
Old 25th Apr 2020, 2:22 pm   #104
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Agree but are you surprised when you can buy a 42" top name TV for £199. You cannot expect the best quality computer grade capacitors at this ridiculous price. If it lasts 5 years and used with care, [not remotes thrown at the screen] it probably will. That is only 80p per week. The last high spec 32" Toshiba CRT TV that I sold cost £1800 including £350 for the glass stand!
I have a feeling that most items are going to cost more in the future.

The replacement transformers had/have a good life. They were high spec and I can't remember actually replacing a faulty one. The K series Philips lopts and the G11 were very reliable. Has anyone who was around at the time had to replace a G11 transformer? John.
Old 26th Apr 2020, 1:27 am   #105
Tvnoob007
Tetrode

so essentially the Philips which might be old new stock should last similar to a HR.

that sounds good as this set will be rarely used anyway.
Old 26th Apr 2020, 11:53 am   #106
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

It will probably see you 'out' as my old Gran used to say. John.
Old 27th Apr 2020, 11:06 am   #107
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I did replace a G11 LOPT once as some idiot (!) dropped the line panel and broke the 'chimney' clean off. Hardly Philips' fault!
Luckily they were so reliable and hence unwanted that Sendz Components suppled a replacement for around a pound.
I wouldn't worry about the longevity of the new LOPT - keep the set warm and dry and I don't think you'll ever need to replace it again. It's probable that Philips improved the design of the transformer along the way.
Closed Thread