UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jun 2023, 3:40 pm   #1
Silicon
Nonode

Default Sound Absorbing Foam

Vintage equipment used a type of foam that degraded over time into a brittle foam that disintegrated into powder when it was disturbed.

Sometimes it was used to absorb sound in a reel to reel tape recorder.

In my Telefunken Magnetophon 85 it was wrapped around the EF86 preamplifier valve.

Foam sheets were also stuck onto the loudspeaker chassis.
It was also used to guide the airflow through the capstan motor and to act as ‘bump stops’ for mechanical linkages.

I am looking for a foam sheet with a thickness of about one centimetre.

What foam types do you recommend and where do you get them from?

Brendan
Old 7th Jun 2023, 7:50 am   #2
brenellic2000
Octode

Default Re: Sound Absorbing Foam

I think it's a case of 'googling' "sound absorbing foam". Local upholsterers will stock a wide range, but their sound absorbing efficiency is another matter. RS will likely stock it.

Critical to their use is the type of glue; a water-based rubber solution is probably best.
Old 7th Jun 2023, 12:56 pm   #3
Goldie99
Heptode

The foam you've described sounds like a degraded flex Polyurethane foam, after 50+ yrs of ageing. Although flex PU foams are engineered for acoustic properties today, it's very unlikely that would have been the case when the Magnetophon was made in '67/68, only 10-12 yrs after the introduction of flex. PU foams, and particularly not at only ca. 10mm thickness. I suspect they were just conveniently available at the time...

I'd agree with 'brenellic2000', local upholsterers, or even eventually your local market, are likely to have suitable PU foam 'sheet' materials available. They'll typically vary by density and hardness, but 'hand's on feel' will probably be your best guide. Alternatively, another option may be some of the neoprene 'tapes'. I sometimes use various self-adhesive types, that are widely available on eBay in various widths, thicknesses, etc.
Old 7th Jun 2023, 1:48 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Also if you have a car audio place nearby ask them if they have any offcuts of the sound damping foam used to stop body panel resonances. Dynamat is one brand I am familiar with.

I used it in the past to damp resonances and drumming noises from rack mount data servers when they were used in an office.
Old 7th Jun 2023, 4:05 pm   #5
mark_in_manc
Octode

As G6Tanuki says, gluing foam on will deaden mechanical resonance. If you want to have an acoustic effect (on airborne sound) then the foam must be open-cell - the 'interstices' (as they say...) interconnect. It tends to be a bit less mechanically stiff than furniture foams, which are usually closed-cell.

I have some acoustic foam 2" thick. If you can be bothered cutting it about and want some to play with, you are welcome FOC though postage will cost you something.

cheers
Mark
Old 9th Jun 2023, 11:58 am   #6
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Encountered the foam issue loads of times particulary in tape recorders when even if the foam looks OK, as soon as it is touched/distubed it often will crumble to dust, particulary common with the brown foam.

I normally replace with white flexible firm foam like (may not actually be foam) sheets that often comes as packing material (not Polystyrene), have no idea of its sound absorbant properites

David
Old 9th Jun 2023, 2:05 pm   #7
Silicon
Nonode

I was thinking of using some adhesive backed foam (possibly neoprene) for some of the smaller applications. I have some already.

I could attach packaging foam with double sided adhesive tape.

Some Yoga mats are made from EVA plastic. EVA seems to have some useful properties.
Old 9th Jun 2023, 6:54 pm   #8
McMurdo
Dekatron

would a foam windshield from a microphone work around the valve? They come in all sorts of sizes
Old 10th Jun 2023, 9:00 am   #9
vidjoman
Dekatron

Speaker cabinets can be deadened with carpet underlay stuck on. Various types are available from soft rubber to dense foam. Often available as free offcuts.
Closed Thread