UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Apr 2023, 6:10 pm   #1
greenstar
Octode

Default A drill and a jigsaw

An enjoyable car boot this morning after nearly two months worth had been rained off! I found a pair of 110v tools, a McGraw-Edison drill and a jigsaw with the brand label rubbed off. Very nicely made and comfortable to hold. The drill chuck closes precisely, and will hold very small bits. The jigsaw is smaller and lighter than usual, and both will be useful for small work. Fortunately I have a site transformer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140663.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	277565   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140664.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	277566  
Old 30th Apr 2023, 6:37 pm   #2
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: A drill and a jigsaw

Certainly look reasonably ergonomic, and probably salvable!
Dave
Old 30th Apr 2023, 7:02 pm   #3
paulsherwin

If they are 110V then that probably means they are pro tools. On the one hand that suggests they are decent quality, but on the other they may have led a hard life.
Old 2nd May 2023, 3:42 pm   #4
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
If they are 110V then that probably means they are pro tools. On the one hand that suggests they are decent quality, but on the other they may have led a hard life.
The drill looks to be the less expensive line of power tools made for the home handy-man.
The jig saw, I refer to it as a "Sabre Saw", seems to be an earlier model of the same quality. The newer models, all have a handle! They have a trigger switch and most are variable speed. More pleasant to use.
They probably were brought from the US.
Dave, USradcoll1
Old 2nd May 2023, 4:48 pm   #5
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

The wiring colours might indicate the origin. I suspect these pre-date the general use of 110V on construction sites.

@Dave you might already be familiar with the UK practice but we have a rule that prohibits normal 230V equipment on building sites. Everything must be 110V fed from a 55-0-55V centre-tap-grounded site transformer, so that nothing is more than 55V to ground (or 63.5V if 3-phase.) So most pro UK tools are available as 110V by default sometimes with an option for a 230V version, but DIY-grade tools are 230V by default, sometimes with a 110V option.
Old 2nd May 2023, 4:51 pm   #6
greenstar
Octode

Hi Dave and thanks, although if less expensive they are certainly nicely made, as is usual for items then from the USA. Here is an image of the remains of the sabre saw label, which I can't make out. It is odd the label is just a transfer - nearly everything then had an engraved and stamped metal plate, so maybe it was a budget item. I need now to find some US size mains connectors and make up a panel socket and extension, but will wait for some to turn up - something in me revolts over paying many times over for them what I paid for the tools!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020357.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	277630  
Old 2nd May 2023, 5:06 pm   #7
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

To me a 'sabre saw' is one where the reciprocating blade protrudes from the end of the tool rather than through a flat plate beneath the tool.
I would call this one a 'jigsaw'.

Andy
Old 2nd May 2023, 5:56 pm   #8
paulsherwin

The label certainly has an American look to it.

The saw would certainly be called a jigsaw in British English. I thought I was pretty much bilingual in British and American English, but you still come across unexpected differences now and then.
Old 2nd May 2023, 9:46 pm   #9
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien Nunes View Post
The wiring colours might indicate the origin. I suspect these pre-date the general use of 110V on construction sites.

@Dave you might already be familiar with the UK practice but we have a rule that prohibits normal 230V equipment on building sites. Everything must be 110V fed from a 55-0-55V centre-tap-grounded site transformer, so that nothing is more than 55V to ground (or 63.5V if 3-phase.) So most pro UK tools are available as 110V by default sometimes with an option for a 230V version, but DIY-grade tools are 230V by default, sometimes with a 110V option.
I read about it and have a idea of UK practices.
In the US, all building sites use an earth fault detector and all portable tools are 120 V. Even the portable generators have one.
It seems that mains operated tools are rapidly falling out of favor! Since they're making brushless tools using longer lasting Lithium batteries, you don't see mains operated tools used as much.
Dave, USradcoll1
Old 2nd May 2023, 9:56 pm   #10
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
To me a 'sabre saw' is one where the reciprocating blade protrudes from the end of the tool rather than through a flat plate beneath the tool.
I would call this one a 'jigsaw'.

Andy
The kind of saw you're referring to is a reciprocating saw. Many use the term "Sawzall" which is a copyrighted name of Milwaukee Electric Tool Company.
The kind in question is sometimes called a "Sabre-jig" saw.
Dave, USradcoll1, as usual!
Old 3rd May 2023, 9:37 am   #11
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: A drill and a jigsaw

Hi,
On the saw label can be see 'CONN,' which I think is short for Connecticut, maybe the state where the factory is/was.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 3rd May 2023, 11:56 pm   #12
roffe
Hexode

https://archive.org/details/forsberg-mfg-co-1958
Closed Thread