UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Dec 2005, 12:39 pm   #1
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Default Teac A3440S Help needed

I have a Teac A-3340S, this recorder required a new recording head which I have but before I replace it there is a problem with the audio. On either record or playback head I have a lot of mains hum, more if I touch the case. The head's earth is not connected to the chassis so is it possible I have a dead capacitor somewhere? I do not have a circuit diagram for this machine, does anyone else have one?
Old 31st Dec 2005, 3:35 pm   #2
Bob955i
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Teac A3440S Help needed

I've got the complete service manual for the A-3440 - 26 pages including the parts list.

After scanning, the circuit diagram would be on four sides of A4.

That would get you started, at least.

Start with the PSU since it is the common link, although it does have a fair amount of components on it.

If you need voltages or resistance readings, let me know, as I also have an A-3440, although mine works.... and it wouldn't be a problem to probe it.
Old 31st Dec 2005, 11:22 pm   #3
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Cheers, the machine is in bits on my kitchen top but not going to start working on it at the moment. The power side may be a great place to start since the metal casing of the recorder has about 30 Volts on it I got so use to getting shocks off old reel to reels that it almost unusual not to

Anyway will try and have a look at that tomorrow, tonight is

HAPPY NEW YEAR
Old 1st Jan 2006, 6:47 pm   #4
Bob955i
Retired Dormant Member

Reel-to-reel man: I've sent you a PM about the A-3440.
Old 2nd Jan 2006, 7:58 pm   #5
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Cheers for the help, I will go though the electronics soon, something else someone mentioned is there can be micro cracks on the switching board close to the heads, this machine was not shipped very well and its possible that there may be cracks on this board as the whole machine has been bent.
Although I have a spare head for this machine, I found a great site which sell cheap heads £32 on average

http://www.openreel.net/index_e.html

CHeap all sorts
Old 2nd Jan 2006, 11:00 pm   #6
Bob955i
Retired Dormant Member

Handy site that

Have you dealt with them at all?

My A-3440 (unfortunately not cosmetically perfect, so would like one that is, or better than mine at least...) is sitting with brand new record and repro heads and I also have a new belt and idler as well - I got all that stuff some years ago but due to circumstances, never got back to using the machine. I also replaced all the 4558 audio op-amps with 4559 low noise ones which made a difference as well, and kept the old heads as I was going to try relapping them for spares but never got round to it. Just like the brand new boxed TSR-8 that I have as well - I think it must have been about the last produced.

Like yourself, I collect R2R machines.

Do you want a scan of the PCB overlay for the aforementioned switching board? Also, are you replacing the record head because of excess wear? Reason I ask is because I'd have thought that unless someone has drastically altered the geometry of that head, any wear should be more or less the same for both the record and repro heads - on my machine, both these heads were worn to a similar degree, I suspect, due to the previous owner/s not using the manual tape lifter when winding tape. The 3440 has simul-sync for multi-tracking which means that the record head can also replay albeit with a max frequency response of around 12Khz - this is to reduce crosstalk, and there are four small daughter-boards for this purpose, so it might be worthwhile looking at these if you have any specific track problems before replacing the record head itself.

Last edited by Bob955i; 2nd Jan 2006 at 11:27 pm.
Old 3rd Jan 2006, 7:02 am   #7
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

I think the head has worn because the person has been spooling with the pinch roller in the wrong position, that would make sense as your suppose to drop the pinch roller down manually whilst spooling unless your trying to do fast search, bad design I suppose. I don't think the board needs replacing just repairing.
Old 3rd Jan 2006, 8:27 pm   #8
Bob955i
Retired Dormant Member

Looks like the machine in your possession has also suffered from tape lifter lack of use. I always did wonder why TEAC made this part of the mechanics manual operation, especially considering the use that they knew the machine would be put to.

Costs? Don't suppose it matters now anyway..........

The PCB overlay is handy because it allows you to see the track layout without components, although the symbols are overlaid on the diagram and since the board is single-sided (I think...) you'll be able to trace it better, if the tracks are underneath when it's mounted and you can't see them. Might save you from having to remove the board and all that....?

And it also means that you can remanufacture the PCB as well if the original's too far gone - not that I'm suggesting that that's the case here.
Closed Thread