UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Oct 2005, 11:42 am   #1
etrain
Retired Dormant Member

Default Noise at the heads.

hey there, was wondering if anyone could help me.I've got an AKAI 1721L and when I record or playback there is a horrible screeching noise coming from the heads. I know that old tape could do this, but i'm using fairly new AMPEX tape. funny thing is that when I put really old tape on to play, its totally fine.Could it be head alignment?.....still occurs after I thoroughly cleaned the heads.
Old 9th Oct 2005, 11:57 am   #2
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Noise at the heads.

I'm not experienced with reel-to-reel tape recorders, but I have come across this sort of thing when some makes of tape are used on a worn ACE head in a VCR. The solution being to use a different make of tape or replace the head. You may find that a small change in the back tension adjustment will cure it if this can be achieved without disturbing performance.
Old 9th Oct 2005, 4:44 pm   #3
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrain
I know that old tape could do this, but i'm using fairly new AMPEX tape. funny thing is that when I put really old tape on to play, its totally fine.
Hi
I am not too sure on this but, contrary to what you say above about older tapes, believe that it is related to modern tapes using some kind of plasticiser for lubricant and older tapes being made with whale oil; The older tape not losing its "lubricant" properties (due to the whale oil), whilst the newer tape becoming "tacky" due to some kind of chemical reaction within the plasticiser. (I read something about this somewhere ages ago)
I am sure theres a chemist out there somewhere that will be able to enlighten us

Andrew
Old 9th Oct 2005, 4:49 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I think it's 1970s tapes that are worst affected, especially if they've been subjected to damp. The cure with these is to bake them in a temperature-controlled oven, and then immediately dub them onto a new tape, CD or whatever.

I suppose "1970s" tapes could seem new or old, depending on one's age
Old 9th Oct 2005, 4:50 pm   #5
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Hi,

I know what your talking about, you may find the heads get dirty very fast too when using the tape, its all to do with the glue which holds the oxide on, you may find that you will get like a black sticky substance on your heads if this is the case the glue has gone soft. The solution (Though sounds drastic) is to turn on your oven (Tested on an Electric oven on audio and video tape) must be on very low heat, leave the tape to more or less cook for half an hour, take the tape out and allow cooling before attempting to use. You will notice a huge difference, as the glue will reactivate, if the results are not perfect, repeat the above but not too often.

Hope that helps.
Old 9th Oct 2005, 5:55 pm   #6
Sideband
Dekatron

I've also come across this with tape recorders that use pressure pads to hold the tape against the heads. The felt gets hard/clogged with gunge and a good clean or replacement cures. Some tapes squeak and others don't due to the base material the tape is made of.

Don't know if this Akai uses pads like this.

Rich.
Old 10th Oct 2005, 12:39 am   #7
etrain
Retired Dormant Member

Cheers for the advice, will try the oven technique and see how it goes.
Old 10th Oct 2005, 12:42 am   #8
etrain
Retired Dormant Member

Can the tape be left on the reel when doing this
Old 10th Oct 2005, 7:00 am   #9
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Yes, its best its on the reel anyway as the tape will not shrink, you may or may not see the end of the tape shrink, if so you know the oven is too hot, remember low heat for half an hour
Old 11th Oct 2005, 9:32 pm   #10
Kentbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Hi, maybe stating the obvious - but dont bake on plastic reels!
Old 11th Oct 2005, 9:50 pm   #11
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Tried and tested, obviously you don't put them in the oven 200 decrees and leave to cook for 30 mins, they will burn

I first read about this technique once reading it on the internet, I had a Sony-O-Matic video recorder and the tape was dropping oxide like nobodies business, after leaving the reel in the oven for 30 mins (Oven barely on) the tape worked as new, no oxide drop and no screeching.
Old 15th Oct 2005, 3:26 pm   #12
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Juts a follow up, I got a reel to reel last week with a reel of Ampex tape, it would not play on anything because it screamed as it was played over the heads. I placed it in the oven on low heat and let it cool, just tried it now and its as good as new. The reel was left on the plastic spool and the spool did not melt, to give an idea on the type of heat we are talking about.

How did Etrain do?
Old 26th Nov 2005, 8:50 pm   #13
Bob955i
Retired Dormant Member

The problem with tape depositing oxide on the heads is called "sticky shed" and if you do a search using those words you'll find a lot of information on this issue in addition to that previously given.

Also, back-coated tape will also squeal if used on machines with pressure pads.
Old 26th Nov 2005, 9:53 pm   #14
reelguy
Heptode

Hi, Once you have used the oven method to save the tape it is best to copy to some other medium as soon as possible. The bad tape will not last long and will go sticky and messy again. Early tapes are usually OK {1950s to late 1960s} , Only tapes from 1970s seem to be affected. Newer tapes are supposed to be ok now especially the Quantegy tapes now being made. Good luck. Reelguy
Old 2nd Dec 2005, 1:44 pm   #15
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Apart from bad tape the main cause of screech on the Akai 4000 range is the back tension on the feed spool, the felt pad in the clutch wears & needs to be replaced. Also tension from the rubber brake on the lower clutch part (L.hand) will increase the back tension(try holding it off when playing?

Doffery
Closed Thread