UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Mar 2018, 10:18 pm   #1
dramapig
Retired Dormant Member

Default Berry Magicoal Masterberry Electric Fire

Hi everybody. I have been reading a number of threads about vintage electric fireplaces on the forum and see there are some keen restorers. I am a a first time poster on the forum and a first time electric fireplace restorer looking for some advice from experienced participants. I was desperately looking for a Belling 264 after looking at the great restoration jobs by forum members, but these heaters don't come up in Australia. So, I recently acquired a Berry Magicoal 'Masterberry' Electric Fireplace which I am looking to restore it to it's original glory as it is such a nice piece. The globes don't work, two of the elements don't work (although the seller said they did not long ago). The logs have some holes in them. Does anyone know if it is possible to obtain replacement logs?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6213.JPG
Views:	527
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	159811   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0873.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	159812   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4062.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	159813   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8333.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	159814   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7408.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	159815  

Old 24th Mar 2018, 9:06 pm   #2
broadgage
Nonode

Default Re: Berry Magicoal Masterberry Electric Fire

One thing to beware off, the four small elements came in two varieties, 120 volt 500 watt, and 240 volt 500 watt.
Either sort may be used, but of course the 120 volt elements need connecting in series pairs, whilst the 240 volt ones are wired in parallel, two on each switch.

Replacement lamps are still readily available.
Old 24th Mar 2018, 9:32 pm   #3
dramapig
Retired Dormant Member

Hi broadgage, Thanks for the response. I think they are setup in parallel but I haven't tested anything yet. Good to know that the lamps are still available. I miss being in the UK where vintage/antiques are easy to come by.
Old 25th Mar 2018, 1:08 am   #4
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The elements are spring loaded 'spear end' fitting. Make sure they are making good contact. John.
Old 25th Mar 2018, 12:57 pm   #5
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I remember my old Gran having one, I expect it dates from the mid 1950s. I don't really collect electric fires but got one yesterday on which I will start another thread.

John.
Old 25th Mar 2018, 9:57 pm   #6
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello,
It appears in the Brown Bros catalogue for 1956. Available in log or coal effect at £15.
Yours, Richard
Old 25th Mar 2018, 11:24 pm   #7
emeritus
Dekatron

The fire effect of my Belling seems to have been made from Fibreglass. I doubt that you will get a NOS replacement, so it could be a matter of a DIY job, using matt black paint to touch up the coal.

My Belling has an Aluminium fan suspended over the bulb that rotates when the bulb has warmed up to give a flame effect. A touch of graphite from a 2B pencil on its glass pivot can work wonders if it is reluctant to turn. Red GLS bulbs for fire effect electric fires continue to be available in the UK in both 2 pin and 3 pin BC base versions, presumably counting as special purpose bulbs.
Old 26th Mar 2018, 10:39 am   #8
Brigham
Octode

The non-bayonet two-pin fireglow bulb for these seems to have become unavailable.
Closed Thread