UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Mar 2018, 10:19 am   #21
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Garrard SP25 MKII turntable....specifically cartridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerhifinut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
I always felt the SP25s were happiest when using a Sonotone 9TA/HC or a Decca Deram. The deck was really intended for just the best ceramic cartridges.
Sorry edward but i beg to differ. I only ever heard SP25 decks with the likes of G800 and shure mag cartrdiges and they always worked very well. The SP25 along with the BSR MP60 was the budget deck of choice until the Pioneer PL12D changed the rules.
Are you not referring to the SP25 Mk III? This would have been around at the same time as the MP60 and the Pioneers. It has a completely different arm and cartridge holder than the Mk II which the OP has in his system.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 25th Mar 2018, 12:42 pm   #22
lazythread
Pentode

Default Re: Garrard SP25 MKII turntable....specifically cartridge

Forty years ago our mobile disco featured several SP25s, mark II, III and IV. We settled on the II with mark IV arms fitted. We only ever used Shure M75-6S cartridges and, within their limitations, the combination performed brilliantly.

From the SP25 mark III onwards, Garrard supplied them as complete, plug and play, modules with a plinth and hinged cover and fitted with a Shure M75-6S cartridge.

The mark IV has a lighter, redesigned, friction link which reduces the drag of the auto-trip mechanism and is a useful upgrade for earlier marks, a small amount of minor surgery is needed.

Back to the original question, any medium compliance magnetic cartridge should work with a mark II. I'd err towards a VTF of 3 grams, 2 grams is really in the realms of the mark IV and later versions.
Closed Thread