UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Apr 2006, 11:39 pm   #1
Brigham
Octode

Default "If you were a crank...."

Hello,
Just been reading about the 'Vest Pocket' Aurora. One of my many 'impossible' schoolboy inventions was a tobacco-tin sized 'plug-in' which went between the aerial downlead and the set, and let you get BBC2, like the posh kids! Yesterday's science fiction.......!
More seriously, If you were a crank, and you had the correct period recorded programmes from both BBC and ITV, and seperate machines to play them simultaneously, would it be possible to use a pair of the new budget-priced Auroras, together with attenuators and a band I/III diplexer, to create the effect of 'turning over' to see what was on the 'other side'?
You would have to be a crank, of course!

Cheers. B.
Old 16th Apr 2006, 7:27 am   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: "If you were a crank...."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigham
would it be possible to use a pair of the new budget-priced Auroras, together with attenuators and a band I/III diplexer, to create the effect of 'turning over' to see what was on the 'other side'?.
Yes, with qualifications. I haven't seen and measured one yet, but there are probably harmonics from the modulator. This means that some band 3 channels may be fouled up by harmonics from the band 1 modulator. Many pairs of channels will be OK. A proper selective diplexer band 1/3 will fix this completely.
Old 16th Apr 2006, 11:49 am   #3
oldeurope
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,
guess why I use these complicated filters at the output of my modulators.

But I sadly learned that noise in the picture is well accepted on an old set.

Kind regards
Darius
Old 16th Apr 2006, 1:08 pm   #4
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

Flying dangerously close to drifting OT, here; but still staying within the general theme of "having several 405-line VHF channels rather than just one" I have a moderately insane idea...

With an indecently rapid PC and some hacking about with the software it wouldn't be impossible to fit three tuner cards in a PC. Theoretically one can then arrange to have the three image streams from the cards greyscaled then combined into one colour image such that one channel is in red, another is in green, and the third in blue. Then you just need to add the syncs seperately to the three RGB card outputs; feed each of these three now composite monochrome outputs to three modulators set to different channels...

Don't expect me to demonstrate this anytime soon; I have plenty of other mad ideas to be getting on with for now and there's only one of me, only 24 hours in a day, etc., etc.

Regards, Kat
Old 16th Apr 2006, 1:28 pm   #5
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Kat, doesn't sound too implausible to me.

The approach that Darryl and I discussed some time ago (and I think some of it was in the forum too) was direct digital synthsis at the final RF carrier frequency. This can do multiple channels without any fundamental problem except that as you get above band 1 the digital clock frequency gets a bit impractical. I suppose you could synthesise at a suitable IF and heterodyne the whole lot up to RF. The conclusion we reached was that it was almost certainly technically feasible but a whole lot more work than any of us reckoned was worth it.
Old 16th Apr 2006, 6:25 pm   #6
oldeurope
Retired Dormant Member

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ead.php?t=2837

Good evening,
I think the London- Birmingham modulator is the ultimate solution.
It makes all 405 sets working without any switching.
The only complicated thing is the filter, but until now I haven't seen
any modulator that don't need a filter. The axing modulator uses the
MC44B_373 and has a switched filter banch at its output. Not good but
much better than nothing.

Darius
Old 16th Apr 2006, 6:34 pm   #7
Sean Williams
Dekatron

The DDS idea is a good one, and with a fixed crystal oscillator and mixer on the output you could generate band 1 and 3 signals fairly easily, you do still need filtering, which becomes complicated when you have to change frequencies so far apart - simple at up to 30Mhz, but into VHF the additional inductance and loss is not so acceptable.

There is no reason why the modulator Darius has designed cannot be converted for ch2 or 3, the one I have built does channels 1 and 3 at the same time, however, there are some very strange mixing products on the output!

No real need for things to be so complicated

Cheers
Sean
Old 19th Apr 2006, 3:30 pm   #8
Steve
Tetrode

I wonder if it would be possible to use one of these - http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuradio/ - to generate the signals? With some very clever software could you can take an off air signal with one daughterboard (maybe a couple of channels in a digital boquet?), convert them to 405 and then generate the relevant Band I/III signals?
Closed Thread