UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Feb 2018, 1:36 pm   #1
antipodes Jason
Retired Dormant Member

Default Tudor Rees Mullard amp

Please forgive me if this is in the wrong section......

I recently aquired this lovely vintage amplifier, my research led me here to a long closed thread regarding the passing of Tudor Rees, whose business sticker adorns interior of the below pictured Mullard amplifier. I am hoping some of the more knowledgable members here can shed some light on the amplifier, I gather that Mullard sold some kits, which Tudor may well ahve assembled and onsold? Any information greatly appreciated.

The amplifier now resides in Australia, driving a pair of Hitachi HS-420 3 way speakers, which for my untrained ear give a lovely warm full sound.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mullard amp 1.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	158079   Click image for larger version

Name:	mullard amp.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	158080  
Old 23rd Feb 2018, 3:12 pm   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Tudor Rees Mullard amp

Hi Jason

I can't vouch for whether or not Tudor Reece Built this amplifier from Kit or otherwise but he was a major exporter of UK HiFi in the 1980's through until at least the mid 1990's mostly to Japan.

He bought two Stereo Decca Decola's from me for export in around 1990 and another in around 1991.

I bought a lot of parts and sets from him particularly in the early 1980's very knowledgeable and one of the founding members of the BVWS.

It's a long time ago now but I think he was in Fishponds Bristol before moving to the converted church in Mangotsfield.

And Welcome to the forum

Cheers

Mike T
Old 23rd Feb 2018, 5:04 pm   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

What are the output valves? If they're EL84s it could be a pair of 5-10 Mullard amps on one chassis. If they're something else like ECL86s that's less lustworthy but still a nice bit of kit.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 23rd Feb 2018, 5:13 pm   #4
ms660
Dekatron

Yes, look like "eckle" 86's to me.

Lawrence.
Old 24th Feb 2018, 1:22 am   #5
Beobloke
Heptode

Ah, yes, I remember the lovely Mr. Rees. He cashed my £60 cheque just before doing a vanishing act, leaving me and many more people out of pocket.

I think setting fire to the amplifier would be a fitting tribute....
Old 24th Feb 2018, 2:10 am   #6
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I don't recall the amplifier as a product in his list but he may well have sold them. I visited Avebury with my young son in 1983 and then drove to Mr Rees's shop in Bristol [Fishponds?]. It was Monday and the premises should have been closed but he was stock-taking and let me in, as I had come from Lancashire. Getting hold of radio "stuff" was much more difficult then. I recall buying an R1155 Manual he printed off for me! Seemed a decent enough chap and I was surprised to find out there was much animosity towards him a few years later. It was hard to find out quite what had actually happened for a long time-no one would actually speak about it [as with the early ruptions in the BVWS history]. More discreet times perhaps?

Some people felt de-frauded, others that he was simply overwhelmed financially. A lot of his early activity had seemed to be very much appreciated but not if you lost out financially perhaps. I suppose it didn't help that he started up again relatively quickly but maybe the stress all took it's toll as he did die in the end. It's a little bit reminiscent of the Frank Murphy story. Very nice amp either way.

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 24th Feb 2018 at 2:20 am.
Old 24th Feb 2018, 2:13 am   #7
antipodes Jason
Retired Dormant Member

Many thanks gentlemen

Beobloke I cant bring myself to incinerate it...... Sorry

It has his address as Bristol.

The valves are marked ECL 86, noting that ignorance is bliss, and having never heard EL84's they sound pretty good to me.

Any ideas about the transformers? they comprise the bulk of the weight in the unit...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2374.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	158133  
Old 24th Feb 2018, 6:57 am   #8
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, in his latter years he resided in an ran his business from Bideford in Devon.
I believe I reported his death about 6 years ago. Strangely no details of a sale of his collection or stocks since then.

Ed
Old 24th Feb 2018, 7:40 am   #9
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
Ah, yes, I remember the lovely Mr. Rees. He cashed my £60 cheque just before doing a vanishing act, leaving me and many more people out of pocket.

I think setting fire to the amplifier would be a fitting tribute....
Apparently he had a good trade going selling Quad valve amps into Japan. The arrangement became so common and trusting that he would regularly bill them for amps and send them on in due course when he had restored them. It seems greed got the better of Mr Rees and he was billing for amps that he did not have, nor that he had the chance of ever fulfilling. Basically invoicing for goods that he would never send. I also fell foul of his dealings when he refused to pay me for a very expensive valve that i had thoroughly tested, sent to him and he claimed it was soft.
Old 24th Feb 2018, 10:41 am   #10
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipodes Jason View Post
The valves are marked ECL 86, noting that ignorance is bliss, and having never heard EL84's they sound pretty good to me.

Any ideas about the transformers? they comprise the bulk of the weight in the unit...
Nothing wrong with the Mullard ECL86 offering listening wise- just the valves are somewhat less robust and rather scarcer than EL84s.

Transformer wise- heavy is good generally speaking- understressed transformers are happier and contribute less distortion!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 24th Feb 2018, 11:42 am   #11
D.Finney
Pentode

I used to buy loads of stuff off Tudor Rees from the mid 70's till the 1980's, he used to issue a monthly sales list of wireless sets, batteries, valves and parts etc; he was based at 64 Broad Street, Staple Hill, Bristol at the time if I remember rightly.
Old 24th Feb 2018, 12:14 pm   #12
RojDW48
Nonode

My late brother was the radio fanatic in the family. I remember he had a lot of dealings with Mr Rees and regarded him as a bit of a slippery character......but he always had the parts Tony wanted.
Old 24th Feb 2018, 3:30 pm   #13
AC/HL
Dekatron

I also subscribed to the catalogue, the RS components of the vintage world. Back then there wasn't much else in this line, although I never bought anything from it. It stopped suddenly I wondered why at the time.
Old 24th Feb 2018, 8:02 pm   #14
qualityten
Octode

If there are EF86 valves under those screening cans in the front, it's probably based on this circuit. http://www.r-type.org/articles/art-003f.htm.
Old 24th Feb 2018, 10:15 pm   #15
antipodes Jason
Retired Dormant Member

EF40s

Thank you for all the replies, I suspect that the 70,s 80,s and 90,s was the right period to operate with less integrity. Its apparent the internet and its ability to correlate information would make this behaviour a more difficult proposition nowadays.

Again many thanks

Ill continue to look around and glean what info I can.
Old 25th Feb 2018, 8:37 am   #16
stevehertz
Dekatron

Re the person in question, given the nature of his business and the helpful, friendly nature of the hobby, you're probably right, word would get around if he'd operated like that on the internet. However, in my opinion, the internet is probably one the most unsafe environments in which to trade, simply because crooks can be quite faceless and totally untrackable. I buy a lot on the internet and I do my homework, but I still get ripped off about once a year with faulty goods, not as described, take my money and run etc etc.