UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jan 2022, 7:52 pm   #1
pentoad
Hexode

Default Q max cutter question

I have two of these one for octal and one for b9a sockets.
I have only used them on aluminium so far but I understand they can be used on steel up to 16 gauge or 1.63mm
I have an old steel junction box which is suitable for an amplifier chassis made from 16 gauge mild steel, would these cutters struggle to punch a hole through this material, is there a risk of damaging them?
Old 29th Jan 2022, 8:05 pm   #2
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Default Re: Q max cutter question

It might be hard work, but if you're careful with them then they will do what they promise. Lubrication on the screw really helps, and maybe on the cutting edges too. Use a hex-key which is in good condition.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 29th Jan 2022, 8:43 pm   #3
beamcurrent
Heptode

I have seen some of the larger sizes with a low friction ball baring device under the hex head, lubrication is essential. I also have used an extension tube over the Allen key. Go slowly.

Brian

Visit the Virtual Broadcast TV Camera Museum
Old 29th Jan 2022, 8:45 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

They wear out much faster in steel, and 16 gauge is rather thick.

I'd suggest using a step-drill in a drill press if you have one.

David
Old 29th Jan 2022, 8:56 pm   #5
JonSnell
Hexode

After years of sterling service I retired my Q-Max cutter for IO and B9a bases. I had only been using them since 1968!
Looking through RS I came across Greenlee, an American Company that produce hole cutters.
I bought one for IO and have never struggled again.
They have four cutters as opposed to the Q-Max two and come with a ball race under the bolt.
Be aware that most are for air ratchet use but n M10 or equivalent Allen bolt will do the trick.
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/hand-...ons=4294966187

Use plenty of lithium grease under the bolt head and washer.
Old 30th Jan 2022, 7:26 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

For lubricating them [I have octal-base and B9A-base cutters in regular use - hint: the B9A one also cuts a hole for SO239 and N-connectors] I suggest the semi-fluid molybdenum-sulphide-loaded grease specified for the constant-velocity joints on front-wheel-drive cars.

It's somewhat messy but does make it a lot easier to wind the bolt through.
Old 30th Jan 2022, 11:00 pm   #7
joebog1
Banned

I use a step drill and file after. Takes longer but you get a far superior finish.
I have Q max cutters and 1.6 mm is a bit big. It will cut it, but it leaves a nasty sharp edge that needs filing back anyway. A modern step drill and decent files cost about the same and with care will last lots longer. Lubrication is the key to making them work well. I have a little wooden box with 7 different sized Q max cutters.

Joe
Old 1st Feb 2022, 7:15 pm   #8
pentoad
Hexode

I think I will go ahead with my Qmax cutters, heeding the advice given before as I only have 3 holes to make.
It will cost £33 for the step drills from Toolstation
Old 1st Feb 2022, 9:51 pm   #9
emeritus
Dekatron

According to the 1980 RS catalogue, their range of Q-max-type hole punches were suitable for mild steel up to 1.6mm (16SWG) thickness. The exception was a 28.4mm x 11.4mm rectangular punch (for a rocker switch) that was only suitable for up to 18SWG mild steel.
Old 2nd Feb 2022, 6:58 pm   #10
ex 2 Base
Heptode

Regarding step drills, keep your eye open for Lidl and Aldi special buys. I got mine from Aldi years ago and they are still gone strong.
PS. I use cutter grease, the same stuff as used when cutting a thread with a die or tap. Ted
Old 2nd Feb 2022, 7:03 pm   #11
Techman
Dekatron

My chassis cutters are decades old, 1960s, I think, and I use them on car bodywork grade steel sheet. I have pushed them to the limit on sheet steel, but do always add oil to the bolt head and thread. I've always intended to get a step drill, but never got round to it.
Old 3rd Feb 2022, 10:01 am   #12
ChristianFletcher
Heptode

You don’t need to pay £30 for a step drill. You can buy something quite suitable for less then £10 from Amazon or EBay. I have bought both very cheap step drills and very expensive ones. I have found no correlation between price and performance. So it’s a bit hit and miss. I have been running a cheap set now for some years and they work just fine but avoid stainless steel. The biggest problem with using these cutter is having a drill that will run slow enough. As with most things a lubricant of your choose can make the process a lot more fun.

Note I use an impact driver on those punches it takes all the work out of it.

Some hole cutting in a hard steel panel https://youtu.be/_wgZ3hcVK0o

Full panel build and 3D design https://youtu.be/-QqDPhD1gWY

Last edited by ChristianFletcher; 3rd Feb 2022 at 10:18 am.
Old 3rd Feb 2022, 11:23 am   #13
Radio Wrangler

I have a good old back-geared pillar drill which goes down to 80 rpm and is great with step drills. BUT it is very important to anchor the work so it cannot spin. You can get seriously hurt by a bit of sheet metal that suddenly grabs.

The slow pillar drill can also do large holes running a tapered reamer, but again, beware of grabbing.

David
Old 3rd Feb 2022, 2:27 pm   #14
ChristianFletcher
Heptode

Yep work holding is a good idea the modern low geared battery drills could easily break a wrist speaking from experience (almost) - Although laziness often prevails
Old 3rd Feb 2022, 2:42 pm   #15
barrymagrec
Octode

Small Q max cutters work fine on 16 gauge but as mentioned above it is essential to lubricate the screw, in particular the washer, the larger cutters with a ball race are far superior from this point of view.

If the screw and washer looks worn replace them, life will be much easier.

16 gauge is chunky for junction box, most are 18 gauge but it should make a good chassis.
Old 3rd Feb 2022, 4:54 pm   #16
Radio Wrangler

Cutting oil on the cutting edges (both punch and die) will extend their life and make for less work. Also reduces galling in the fracture zone.

David
Old 3rd Feb 2022, 10:20 pm   #17
ChristianFletcher
Heptode

Just spotted these hydraulic punches on eBay. Never tried one but it looks impressive and relatively low cost at £60. I’m tempted to buy one. As I said in the previous post I use a battery impact gun and it goes through effortlessly and requires less work holding
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7132BC59-7390-4BC2-B5B1-4C3AB58EC2B0.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	251008   Click image for larger version

Name:	F453F158-4061-4DE5-A03F-5D9D43F2EACA.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	251009   Click image for larger version

Name:	02350F12-B40E-491A-ACA4-623CB8151669.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	251010  

Last edited by ChristianFletcher; 3rd Feb 2022 at 10:25 pm.
Old 4th Feb 2022, 11:06 am   #18
ChristianFletcher
Heptode

I couldn't resist buying a new tool so ordered one of the hydraulic punches as I do a fair amount of panel work. I will do a review of it when it arrives.
Old 10th Feb 2022, 4:42 pm   #19
ChristianFletcher
Heptode

I will be doing a YouTube premiere tonight at 7:30 reviewing the hydraulic punch set that I purchased. This will include general chat about punching and cutting holes in metal enclosures. Anyone free this evening would be most welcome to contribute in the chat or just watch the video

For those that aren’t interesting in watching the review video my thought on the hydraulic punch set is that it is an overkill for punching relatively small holes. However if you need to punch larger holes in thicker material it does a fantastic job for relatively low cost.

The kit is very good value for money but the instructions are poor. The cutting punches appear to be sharp and Satisfactory hardened. Not sure on the long term performance but for hobby use I would expect it to be more the capable.

Note I don’t have any affiliation with the manufacturer or supplier and paid for the tool myself. The review is based on my own opinion of using the tool

Review Link here: https://youtu.be/kwA_IXXqqyo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65AC3EAE-9E91-4F91-A8C7-99E2840F2CD6.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	251588   Click image for larger version

Name:	F187B967-625C-4FD0-9467-26226F371BF1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	251589   Click image for larger version

Name:	B80E5898-0203-4816-B845-19D27C0D937A.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	251590   Click image for larger version

Name:	68D9BD02-4FA2-4930-BEAF-9257F8A6BCE4.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	251591   Click image for larger version

Name:	25B4874B-A757-42D0-889E-E62511633668.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	251592  

Old 11th Feb 2022, 2:02 am   #20
wave solder
Hexode

It is such a shame that the punches supplied are not ones that (to me) are of much use to electrical panel work. I use 16mm, 20mm, 22.5mm, 25mm and 32mm. Such a shame as it looks a very useful tool.
Closed Thread