UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Apr 2022, 7:02 pm   #1
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Has anyone ordered anything from the National Archives?

Hi!

Has any Member ordered a copy of anything from the National Archives at Kew, and if so, can anyone give me a rough estimate of the likely cost please?

I am aware of the compulsory £8.40 "Page Check Fee", so to take the three parts of AP2536C, "Common Test Gear for Radio Equipment" as an example, it would cost £25.20 in "Page Check Fees" plus whatever the copying/postage costs are, so I'm trying to work out if paying three "Page Check Fees" plus copying/delivery costs would be cheaper than going to the Reading Rooms in person!

Chris Williams
Old 22nd Apr 2022, 10:21 pm   #2
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Default Re: Has anyone ordered anything from the National Archives?

Chris,
I have bought copies of various documents 'pre-covid' from TNA, this service was then discontinued once the lockdowns began - has it now restarted?

Costs are high if the document is of any size, for example I went through the page-check process for a sonabuoy system AP, but didn't proceed when the copy cost would have been £700-plus! The killer is any fold-out or large diagrams.
I think the cost per A4 page was about £1?
The whole process is quite slow, I think about three weeks to get the page-count and then a further three weeks to get the copy.
I only went for the electronic copy once, and was disappointed with the low-resolution copies provided, adequate but not enjoyable to read. On the other hand paper copies were fine, I suspect photocopied rather than scanned. Of course things might have changed from pre to post-covid.

Andy
Old 28th Apr 2022, 8:05 pm   #3
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Default Re: Has anyone ordered anything from the National Archives?

Chris

I would go to the TNA just for the experience! I really look forward to getting the notification that my documents are in the cubby hole! You can take them to a window seat - set your camera up on the stand provided and snap away!

And so nice to pass a table where an ordinary member of the public is unrolling some ancient medival scroll!

And there is always somewhere very quiet to go for some deep thinking. I often go to such a room in my own home!

Cheers
James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amusing Sign in TNA.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	256236  
Closed Thread