UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Feb 2022, 6:07 pm   #1
Phonosandradios
Tetrode

Default Re-spraying a Grundig plastic bezel

Hi
I wanted to get some advice on re-spraying a plastic bezel that sits on the front of my Grundig radiogram. Unfortunately quite a bit of the original gold paint has come away and it currently looks very tatty - as you will see from the photos.

I was going to re-spray it an antique gold colour and I wondered would spray cans of paint give a fine enough spray to lightly cover it without runs, particularly given that it has a lot of intricate detailing. I guess a couple of very light coats would be better than one thick one but is this possible to do with a spray can? Or would I be better off using a compressor and special sprayer to do this? I would welcome any advice if anyone has tackled such a project before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220227_165636.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	252688   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220227_165728.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	252689   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220227_165737.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	252690  
Old 27th Feb 2022, 6:37 pm   #2
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: Re-spraying a Grundig plastic bezel

I have done one, the same as yours, I used Plasti Kote spray can, don't over wet a couple of light coats will do , Mick.
Old 27th Feb 2022, 6:41 pm   #3
paulsherwin

I normally use metallic car paint. You're right, it's not easy to get a good result.
Old 27th Feb 2022, 7:36 pm   #4
stevehertz
Dekatron

Get hold of one of these aerosol spray can gun pistol grips. They make spraying much easier with a better sweeping action as if using a proper spray gun, but even better because you don't have a pipe hanging off it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 18.33.39.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	252693  
Old 27th Feb 2022, 8:05 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

Spray very light coats. Let it flash-off between coats.

DO NOT WORRY about getting a glossy finish. It leads you into putting too much on and getting runs. Instead, do a top coat of clear gloss.

David
Old 27th Feb 2022, 8:17 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Agreed about the repeated nlight coats; you cannot be sure about the compatibility between the plastic parts and the solvents/thinners in the paint - if you apply a heavy coat the solvents could eat-into the underlying plastic and then when they dry out you could be faced by a wrinkly surface a bit like the old 'crackle' finish paints used on WWII radio-cabinets.
Old 27th Feb 2022, 10:53 pm   #7
joebog1
Banned

You can buy paint specifically for plastic made by Tamiya model company. It sticks like the proverbial, sprays very fine and the cans are quite small. A trick I have learned over the years it to bung the spray can into a bucket of hot water for a couple of minutes to build up a bit more pressure. N.B. A couple of minutes and I said hot, NOT boiling. I have never had one leak or explode. That hint came directly from Tamiya themselves. ( yes I do radio modelling too ).

Joe
Old 28th Feb 2022, 1:58 pm   #8
Phonosandradios
Tetrode

Thanks for all the tips and hints everyone. Hopefully I will be able to manage this without making a mess of it and having to strip it off again.
Closed Thread