UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jul 2021, 4:58 pm   #1
turejob
Triode

Default Technics SL-BD22D turntable with a strange fault

I have a technics SL-BD22D turntable which has a strange fault there is only 2 volts going to the motor which should be 4 volts, but if you Short the brown and orange on the multi plug it comes to life and works perfect but after about an hour or two the sound ,sounds wobbly on one channel then it cuts out and back on 2 volts and just managed to turn.
I have cleaned all controls change a couple of caps which I had. Has anyone had the same problem could be the ic at fault many thanks.
Old 26th Jul 2021, 12:12 pm   #2
Marconi_MPT4
Heptode

Default Re: Technics SL-BD22D turntable with a strange fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by turejob View Post
Short the brown and orange on the multi plug it comes to life and works perfect.
Taking a quick look at the manual, I am not quite sure how shorting out the orange and brown wires will make this work correctly since the brown wire, pin 1 of CN101 is 0V and the orange wire pin 3 of CN101 is motor+ (+12V)?

Initially I would be inclined to monitor the +12V supply across C4 (330uF) and +6V regulated supply across C5 (47uF) to observe any voltage change when the fault occurs.

A common issue with most Technics turntables of that era is dry soldered joints on the regulator IC/transistor, in this case IC1 (AN78L06) and any PCB wire links. Often saved a lot of time to just re-flow the usual suspects when in for repair. Also check power switch S1.

Rich
Old 26th Jul 2021, 6:13 pm   #3
G6ONEDave
Octode

Perhaps the +12V from connector pin 3 being shorted to connector pin 1 that in turn goes to pin 3 of Z601, is making up in some way for a missing 6V from IC1 that goes to connector pin 5 and then to pin 1 of Z601. Probably not a good idea to back feed the hall device though.

As Rich says, check the regulators and other components for dry joints and S1 the start/stop switch for being resistive contact.

Dave
Old 27th Jul 2021, 8:31 am   #4
turejob
Triode

Thanks for your help I have re done all soldering joints still no change but I will check voltage across caps and see what they are many thanks nick
Closed Thread