UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Nov 2019, 11:58 am   #1
Lef de art
Pentode

Default Philips AG8108 reel to reel recorder problem

Hello forum.

I just finish the recap process in a Philips AG 8108 tube reel to reel tape recorder and everything looks to work quite good.
I have changed all capacitors with the closed values i have found.

But when I turn the volume at maximum i have a constantly low hum sound from the speaker (in the playback mode) .
Is that normal ?
I have check the resistors and i didn't find any resistor with big differences in his value.

Generally sounds good. Not very loud but good enough.
In the maximal volume it has distortion .

It will be a very big help to hear your opinion and your experience.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad English
Lef.
Old 29th Nov 2019, 3:18 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips AG8108 reel to reel recorder problem

Also known as the EL3516: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=120470
Old 29th Nov 2019, 11:39 pm   #3
Lef de art
Pentode

Yes. It is the same model.
Old 1st Dec 2019, 6:53 am   #4
ricard
Octode

First of all, I think your English is fine!

Secondly, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a little hum with the volume turned all the way up. Obviously, it's hard to judge how much is too much without hearing it for oneself.

Efter all, this is a consumer machine, and a fairly early one (mid to late 50s) at that. The whole design has to be cost effective given its intended market. The playback amplifier of a tape recorder is especially tricky, as the tone correction involved in the playback process dictates that there must be a sizable amount of bass boost, and the signal level from the tape head is low to start with. So even very small amounts of hum picked up by the head and/or wiring will be easily audible.
Old 1st Dec 2019, 2:43 pm   #5
Lef de art
Pentode

Thanks Richard. Indeed i believe that this must be the original hum. The repairing process it makes me to suspect every detail. But now and after some days off use I believe that everything works perfectly in playback mode and in recording mode.
Closed Thread