UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Nov 2019, 3:48 pm   #1
Ferro6owner
Diode

Default Speaker advice

Hi all

I have a ferrograph 63 series mono tape player that works well. My question is this - on the back of the cabinet are two speaker sockets (2-pin DIN(?)) and the words "stereo output" despite this being a mono machine. Would this therefore be used with a single speaker from one or other socket or can two speakers be used, albeit with mono sound? Thanks!
Old 28th Nov 2019, 5:03 pm   #2
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Default Re: Speaker advice

You say this is a player, I assume it is actually a recorder as well?
If it's a series 6, as in say a 631, the I'd have expected it to have 1/4 inch jack sockets, on the chassis at the rear, in a square recessed cut-out in the cabinet.
I wonder if its been modified.
Some of the mono machines did have a 'stereo' output socket, but this was usually if I remember correctly, taken from the spare head position, so that you could add another head & also a corresponding playback amplifier, with E.Q. etc.
I've just checked the only ser 6 I could immediately lay my hands on, & that uses all 1/4 inch jacks.

Can you post a picture?
Old 28th Nov 2019, 5:17 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

There was a stereo version of the Ferrograph series 6, but they're fairly rare. Easily spotted by the dual-concentric knobs across the control panel. I think it was model 632Y I've never seen one in the flesh.

THe mono versions could be used for a sort of stereo by fitting an extra head (spare position was ready and waiting) and then adding an external amplifier and speaker.

The problem was the two channels came from different places on the tape! I never found out how you were supposed to record tapes in stereo with the complementary offset.

David
Old 28th Nov 2019, 6:46 pm   #4
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
There was a stereo version of the Ferrograph series 6, but they're fairly rare. Easily spotted by the dual-concentric knobs across the control panel. I think it was model 632Y I've never seen one in the flesh.

THe mono versions could be used for a sort of stereo by fitting an extra head (spare position was ready and waiting) and then adding an external amplifier and speaker.

The problem was the two channels came from different places on the tape! I never found out how you were supposed to record tapes in stereo with the complementary offset.

David
I have one in front of me, & somewhere, I do also have the mono version, but can't locate it as present. All have standard 1/4 jack connectors. I also have Series sevens/ logic sevens somewhere...
You're right about the offset!

But then, when I was first into tape recorders in the late 50's there were some very weird format arrangements. I made my first tape recorder, including the heads, which I wound on a mu-metal core, using pared-down mica as the gap. Needless to say, it was full-track! Driven by a wind-up gramophone motor...

David.

Last edited by Vintage Engr; 28th Nov 2019 at 6:47 pm. Reason: Typos, too much of a hurry!
Old 28th Nov 2019, 9:45 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

The offset is the killer.

Ferrographs of series 6 and earlier are quite nice machines and I have a soft spot for them (I used the school's one rather a lot back in the day), but they're probably best treated as mono machines because mono is so fundamental in their design.

If anyone wants a stereo machine for comfortable use, then I'd advise them to look for a logic 7, or maybe a Revox. I think the Revox is an easier machine to keep in functioning order and its performance is about as good as it gets. Either choice would give compatibility with other people's stereo recordings.

David
Old 28th Nov 2019, 10:05 pm   #6
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Domestic Ferrographs, starting with the 3S, were equipped with the stereo out socket connected to the third head position on the block. Originally, the stereo head would be connected to a Stere-Add unit, which contained two matching head preamplifiers for playback only. Staggered heads didn't make much headway on this side of the pond, although EMI's first studio machines were staggered and they did experiment with them for Stereosonic distribution copies, but this was dropped in favour of stacked heads before launch.
Old 29th Nov 2019, 2:07 pm   #7
llama
Octode

I think what look a bit like 2-pin DIN sockets are actually Plessey connectors. The position for a third head is (I think) 4 pins of an International Octal socket so it ought to be possible to make up a suitable head/mounting arrangement with an octal plug.
Graham