UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jul 2019, 11:41 am   #1
Valvepower
Octode

Default Lego mounting for turntable strobe

Hello,

After the recent mention of Lego in projects in the RWB post in Clubs and Society section I was reminded of a Lego strobe I made a while ago – hope I have the correct section for this post - move if not!

A while back I was working on a turntable motor and I needed to monitor the speed of a turntable over a long period, this meant holding an LED over a strobe disc to periodically check the speed, the problem was holding the LED over the strobe every time I wanted to check the speed got a tad tiresome; given this I mounted the LED/strobe driver PCB and LED, which I’d knocked-up to do the job on an Lego support structure with Darth Vader looking as if his Light Sabre was the source of the light acting on the strobe disc This was embellished with a Lego power supply box

Regards
Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070074.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	186660   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070076.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	186661   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070079.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	186662   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070081.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	186663   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070078.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	186664  

Old 14th Jul 2019, 12:02 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Lego mounting for turntable strobe

Lego is actually very useful for knocking up one off jigs and other tools (as is Meccano). It's worth keeping an eye open for a box of bits at car boots and flea markets if you can't nick stuff from your children or grandchildren.
Old 14th Jul 2019, 6:43 pm   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Lego mounting for turntable strobe

And then there's Fischertechnik, which is excellent (and in my opinion the best of the 3 : Fischertechnik, Meccano, Lego for such work). Just a word of warning, though. It is expensive both new and second-hand (it deserves to be!) and if you aren't careful you will end up with very little money...
Closed Thread