UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Nov 2019, 9:13 pm   #1
Chemicalchris10
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Philips N4510 Reel to Reel Tape Player

Hi, I’m new to the forum.

I’ve just started to finally refurb my N4510 which I bought new in the early 70s. I thought someone could guide me. I’ve read through the N4510 forum notes, but it appears to have been closed.

I’ve removed all the evil goo and the tape transport motors run. Tony has provided useful info on the flip flop transistors, which I will change, just wondering if it would be a good idea to change some electrolytics, and if so which ones?

Thanks.

Last edited by Station X; 28th Nov 2019 at 9:24 pm. Reason: New thread started.
Old 29th Nov 2019, 12:22 am   #2
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Philips N45100 Reel to Reel Tape Player

Personally, I find capacitors from this era to be reliable. I wouldn't bother to change any capacitors unless they were proved to be faulty.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 29th Nov 2019, 5:25 pm   #3
Chemicalchris10
Retired Dormant Member

Wow that was quick, thanks a lot. I’ll leave be. Would it be useful to clean all the micro switch contacts? I’ve noticed that WD (of the 40 fame) do a specific cleaner for electronics??
Old 1st Dec 2019, 12:04 am   #4
Michael Maurice

I would leave everything alone unless you had specific faults, you don’t want switch cleaner breaking up the plastic as some do.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 1st Dec 2019, 1:26 am   #5
ben
Dekatron

What is the current working condition of this machine? Is there anything it doesn't do, or doesn't do well enough?
Old 1st Dec 2019, 4:48 pm   #6
Chemicalchris10
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the advice Michael. I'll wait 'til I finally power up.

I've separated the black electronics board from the deck. I'm currently working (mainly) through the deck part, cleaning all the evil goo off everything. I have 3 working motors (one of the reel motors sounds a little arthritic when starting, but runs smoothly). The PSU is delivering, after I freed up the seized mains switch, though the voltages at A.B and C are a little higher than the service manual says + and -27V rather than 22V? (my multi meter is v old though and I'm not sure how reliable). I've removed the 6 AC128 transistors off the 2 flip flop boards, and will fit BC640 replacements when they arrive. I have just received replacement belts from Italy, and that's about it at the moment. I've had the machine from new, £140,it's never had any work done to it.

I haven't switched any power to anything past the PSU yet. Any advice would be good thanks.
Old 10th Dec 2019, 7:41 pm   #7
Chemicalchris10
Retired Dormant Member

New transistors are now fitted. The motors are a little tired, but everything works except:-

1. All control buttons light and work except the Rewind. Rewind does work if I hold the button down, the light behind the button doesn’t work.

2. There is a hum on the headphones.

I’ll be trying the record facility when I rig up a Mike. I think my tapes are “well cooked”. I need to run them through on fast forward to loosen everything.

Anyone’s thoughts would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Old 11th Dec 2019, 1:48 pm   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I can't understand why your are doing all this work, especially changing out the transistors, until you see how well it would run as it is?
Old 11th Dec 2019, 11:26 pm   #9
Chemicalchris10
Retired Dormant Member

Thumbs up Re: Philips N4510 Reel to Reel Tape Player

Hi Edward.
Basically I’ve been looking at work already done by others on the same machine and following the basic stuff that they’ve found necessary.
I’ve only freed up the reel motors and mains switch which were seized and removed all the black goo that was the drive belts. More than one person has said that the flip flop transistors were v inadequate after so long, and all controls were stabilised by using the BC640 replacements.....so I did that and they function well.
I’ve enjoyed getting back to a bit of soldering etc, after a 30 ish year gap. That’s why I’ve done what I’ve done!!
Closed Thread