UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Nov 2019, 3:22 pm   #1
Gabe001
Octode

Default Vintage radio streaming conversion

A few weeks ago I posted about a Pilot u650 radio which I had just bought. Many thanks to all those who helped and gave me advice.

For a number of different reasons, some people often opt to convert their radios to work with Bluetooth.

For all those who would consider an alternative, due to the lack of good LW/MW stations in my locality, I have converted the radio to stream radio stations directly off the internet. No Bluetooth involved. The stations can be switched using a small IR remote and the sound goes through to the radio using the gramophone jack. The small circuit is extremely cheap to build, powered by a standard usb mobile charger, requires no amplification, and no original parts of the radio need modification of any sort. I attached mine to the back panel using zip ties and all you can see is the small IR receiver. This means that the radio remains in its original condition.

I'm posting some pictures and have zipped a small video to show it working (and the audio quality) and if anyone is interested to know more I can post links to the components and the software.

Regards
Gabriel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	138359.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	194658   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191130_130101.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	194659   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191130_130730.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	194660  
Attached Files
File Type: zip video1.zip (3.49 MB, 64 views)
File Type: zip video2.zip (3.55 MB, 69 views)
Old 30th Nov 2019, 7:14 pm   #2
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Vintage radio streaming conversion

Have you got any details of the units you used, maybe bust the search terms or item number rather than a link to them if on ebay.

Mike
Old 30th Nov 2019, 7:32 pm   #3
Gabe001
Octode

Essentially an esp32 connected to a vs1053 with IR remote and receiver (for Arduino).

To convert the stereo output to mono use the converter from fentronix from e bay

Software: Internet radio based on ESP32 by edzelf on github (and watch the YouTube video)

You need some experience with an Arduino to pull this off.

Last edited by Gabe001; 30th Nov 2019 at 7:41 pm. Reason: Added information
Old 30th Nov 2019, 11:19 pm   #4
murphy512
Pentode

Well done for not gutting the radio as so many people seem to be doing now day and proudly showing on the internet! I have seen many beautiful sets being destroyed.
Closed Thread