UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Sep 2013, 7:12 pm   #1
PaulM
Hexode

Default Marconi Atalanta - how good was it?

I'm straying out of my comfort zone here - it's not TV!

I recently purchased a Marconi Atalanta marine receiver. Why? Well, I'm quite interested in having a go at 'vintage' VLF (Grimeton etc.) and the Atalanta goes down to 15 KHz. Secondly, I have memories of one of these beasts at the Marconi Student Apprentice Hostel (Springfield Place) in the mid 70s in Chelmsford. I always admired its weight(!) and performance, but maybe I'm biased . . .

Anyway, my machine seems to be just fine after 25 years of taking a nap and it came up straight away with no leaky cap problems others than 'normal' leakage of the 2.2 uF mains filter capacitors from live and neutral to ground which took out the 30 mA trip quite nicely.

Connecting it to a calibrated signal generator (Marconi, of course) and a frequency counter suggest that it's pretty much in spec across all bands. Not bad really!

Now, amongst marine operators, was this considered a good machine? Sure, its SSB facilities by the standards of today are poor having only a BFO, but for its time, was the performance and reliability good? I'd like to think so as this one is pulling in all sorts with a 'short' long wire aerial. How good is it at VLF?

I'm also seriously thinking about vintage RTTY now as I have a fully functional Creed 7B.

Makes a change from TV cameras!

Cheers,

Paul M

No Marconi bashing please!
Old 27th Sep 2013, 7:30 pm   #2
Restoration73
Nonode

Default Re: Marconi Atalanta - how good was it?

I first had one of these 30 years back, purchased from GWM Radio £45. After making a
suitable mains power supply, it seemed to work quite well although coverage stopped at
28MHz. I found the audio output N37 ran too hot for my liking, so I made a B9A to
B7G adaptor and used a PL84 which was better. It was the first set I actually heard
GBR 16kHz on. Not a set for quick QSY. Performance was nearly as good as
my FRG7700 for gain if not selectivity. It was I think a reserve ships receiver.

Tony
Old 27th Sep 2013, 10:30 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

I don't think it's as good a performer as the BRT400, but there's a lot better access to everything inside. For vintage RTTY, I think I'd go for an RA17, but then they're as common as muck, while fully working Atalantas are definitely rarer.

As you've been inside, you'll have seen the acreage of Philips beehive trimmers.

David
Old 29th Sep 2013, 8:18 pm   #4
Synchrodyne
Nonode

As far as I know the Marconi Atalanta was a marine main receiver, and was Marconi’s primary or only offering in this field from the mid-1950s until the late 1960s. I should not be too surprised if Marconi had been the major UK supplier into this market; competitors included IMR and Redifon. The Atalanta was superseded by the solid state Apollo, which also oriented towards SSB, whereas the Atalanta and its competitors were basically AM and CW receivers.

As I recall, conversion of the marine HF bands from AM to suppressed carrier SSB was decided in the late 1960s, with implementation running into the early 1970s. It was a bit of an issue in the leisure boating industry in New Zealand, in that SSB transceivers of the time were quite a bit more costly than AM transceivers. My memory could be wrong here, but I think that NZ might have negotiated an extended changeover deadline for the 2 MHz band at least.

Thus it would seem that SSB facilities arrived later for marine receivers than for general coverage HF receivers. On the other hand marine receivers usually had VLF coverage, whereas GC receivers of the valve era generally did not.

Cheers,
Old 1st Oct 2013, 4:32 pm   #5
AndyWright
Tetrode

As a matter of interest how long does yours take to warm up and start producing signals after switch on?

Mine takes about 5 minutes before any signals appear.
Old 1st Oct 2013, 6:05 pm   #6
PaulM
Hexode

Thanks for all the replies so far - I'm guessing that there can't be too many of these left out there as there's a number of 'wanted' ads for them. Considering that many thousands must have been made, that's surprising. Maybe they are dispersed all over the world as there's certainly quite a lot of web references to 'survivors' all over the planet.

It's a typical Marconi product of the period - designed to withstand a nuclear strike by the look of it!

I'm very pleased with mine, but I do need a new outer plastic cover for the main tuning knob (the one with the dimples). The one on my example has received a violent blow at some time in its history and it has a massive crack across it with badly damaged dimples.

Yes, they are a slow warmer. Not quite five minutes, but time to go put the kettle on for sure.

Best regards,

Paul M
Old 2nd Oct 2013, 11:01 am   #7
GW3OQK Andrew
Pentode

I was a Marconi R/O in the 60s. In those days it was an excellent receiver for commercial mf and hf CW operation and AM phone in my memory. The very narrow passband was hardly ever required. The logging scale was used to return to wanted stations. It was also reliable and easily fixed when the odd valve failed. Because of the thermistor in the heater chain it did take some minutes to warm up so you had to arrive early on watch. I liked leaving it on for the whole voyage.

I bought an Atalanta for £35 on ebay this year and after mainly mechanical repairs have it in operation in my vintage shack and used on air. Its still excellent. The VN filter works well on CW but the audio image isnt quite "single signal". Someone had cut out the centre bar of the L/S area, so I have installed a BFO tuning cap there to get usb/lsb capability.

The PSU is home brew giving 110v DC for the heaters and 110v choke smoothed DC for the HT. It has 24v for the muting circuit so the RX gives full break-in with side-tone level adjustment, with whatever TX I am using.

Marconi bought many Redifon R408s to replace the Atalanta for SSB working in the 70s.

Andrew
Old 2nd Oct 2013, 9:08 pm   #8
majoconz
Heptode

+1 on Andrew's first paragraph. The Atalanta replaced the Mercury/Elettra twins on many ships. I'm not sure whether that was an improvement or not, as you now had the almost useless "Alert" 500kHz TRF MCW fixed tuned receiver to monitor the distress frequency. Like Andrew, every ship I was one, the receivers were turned on when I joined and off when I left! I have seen an Atalanta with a recalibrated centre dial for broadcast bands - shouldn't be too hard.
I was fortunate enough to join an ex-Maersk ship that had Pedersen gear (and two Radio Cabins! One in the aft section and the main on the bridge deck as usual) that was much more useable with a nixie tube frequency readout and 1kW transmitter.
I have just bought on our local auction site a Debeg 7313 which seems to be a trimmed-down Skanti R5001, works quite well but seems a little noisy - more investigation required - compared to my NRD515.
Old 2nd Oct 2013, 11:02 pm   #9
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I got one of these from a chap in Hastings a few years ago [£30]. Heavy but in excellent condition and quite lively although I'm not in a position to give you a technical evaluation. I think they are now a bit on the rare side and some research I did at the time brought up a few models in the range. The Naval Museum at Portsmouth, that had to down size recently, sold some of the Marconi receivers as I recall.
Dave W
Old 24th Oct 2013, 2:36 am   #10
Synchrodyne
Nonode

As noted above, the Marconi Atalanta was not really intended for SSB reception. When the mandatory conversion of marine HF telephony from AM to SSB came along in the late 1960s, Marconi replaced the Atalanta with the solid-state Apollo, which was SSB capable. In fact the Apollo was described as GP/SSB receiver, where presumably GP meant general purpose.

But there was evidently voluntary use of SSB by ships well before it was mandated. For example, in “Radio and Television Engineers’ Reference Book”, 3rd Edition (RTVERB3), 1960, it is mentioned on page 7-34: “The larger ship installations are now often equipped with single-sideband telephony transmitters”.

That made me curious as to what marine HF SSB receivers Marconi offered during the Atalanta era, before the Apollo was released.

A look through this site: http://jproc.ca/britishmarconi/equipment.html, revealed several Marconi marine SSB transmitters, some perhaps going back to the Atalanta era. But the only SSB receiver apparent is the HR24, which I think was basically a land-based point-to-point ISB receiver with broadcast quality (6 kHz) as well as voice quality (3 kHz) bandwidths and pilot-carrier AFC. The HR24, or another Marconi receiver that was much like it, is described, but not identified by model number, in RTVERB3, p.16-21ff. I have attached the block schematic. Although the rather large HR24 may well have had marine applications, it does seem less likely to have been Marconi’s primary SSB receiver candidate during the valve era.

The 1966 book “Marine Radio Manual” (1) does have a brief chapter on SSB. Therein is mentioned in outline both a Marconi marine SSB transmitter (no model number) and an unidentified receiver that from its block schematic, looks to be a simpler version of the HR24, with voice bandwidth only. Whilst the main chapters of the book identify and describe Marconi, IMR, Redifon, etc., equipment, including the Atlanta, it does seem to lean towards Marconi equipment, so the chances are that the SSB receiver described was a Marconi unit.

Further searching has turned up the Marconi HR120 (WW item attached), which looks to have been a general purpose HF receiver with a Collins-type circuit that probably would have been well fitted to SSB reception. Presumably this could have been used for marine as well as other purposes.

An apparent inference is that whereas, when SSB was mandated for marine HF services, it was of the suppressed carrier form, before then, marine SSB installations seemed to have been of the reduced carrier type, perhaps to align with prevailing practice for commercial land-based stations.

Cheers,

(1) G.L. Danielson & F. Mayoh; Marine Radio Manual; Newnes, 1966.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Marconi ISB Receiver RTVERB3.jpg
Views:	1116
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	85366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Marine SSB receiver MRM.jpg
Views:	970
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	85367   Click image for larger version

Name:	Marconi HR120 WW 196010.jpg
Views:	868
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	85368  
Old 24th Oct 2013, 8:57 am   #11
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

On larger vessels, ISB was often used, with one sideband providing a voice channel and the other being for data [RTTY, or various fax-like devices for transmitting weather/tidal information ].
Old 24th Oct 2013, 9:36 am   #12
PaulM
Hexode

Many thanks for the further replies - the coming of SSB and ISB seems to have made quite some impact on the Marconi catalogues of the early 1960s with quite a lot of new equipment listed. ISB certainly seems to have been something that was being 'pushed'. I'll try to scan some of the catalogue pages.

As an ex-Marconi Broadcast Division R&D Eng, I'm now puzzled as to which part(s) of the Chelmsford Marconi empire this marine equipment was made. Sure, MIMCo's HQ was at Elettra House, but was there any R&D actually done there, or was it all designed and made at New Street? Some of the transmitter gear in the catalogues looks remarkably like some of the company's military HF kit. Sadly, when I worked at Marconi, I never paid much attention to the other divisions and I should have done. MIMCo always seemed a bit divorced from the main Marconi empire - something on its own, but still part of the machine.

I'm now set on reclaiming my old G8MJW callsign and going on HF for the first time with an Atalanta RX and an Oceanspan TX. I just need the Oceanspan now. I have asked the Portsmouth museum people if they still have an Oceanspan for disposal, but I've heard nothing back so far. I'd like a Mk VII, as curiously that's the marque number of one of my favourite Marconi cameras too! Having built a little preservation island of Broadcast Division's products, it now looks as if I'm going for MIMCo (only in a small way this time though - just a side line).

The Atalanta continues to surprise me with its performance - particularly its sensitivity, selectivity and stability. For a piece of valve kit with a 'free-running' local oscillator it is very stable and the tuning calibration is almost bang-on. To me, it has the construction and feel of the Marconi MkIV Image Orthicon camera which was around at about the same time. Both appear to have been designed to survive a nuclear holocaust and both were very successful products.

Best regards,

Paul M

Last edited by PaulM; 24th Oct 2013 at 9:52 am.
Old 25th Oct 2013, 1:30 am   #13
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Just considering receivers alone, I imagine that simply generating a list of MIMCO units would be quite a daunting exercise. The Atalanta itself seemed to have quite a long run in pride of place as ships’ main receiver, but then there were the various others: reserve, etc; ISB and SSB; entertainment (broadcast); and cabin units.

The Apollo superseded the Atalanta, but soon after came the Neptune, which was a rebrand of the Eddystone EC958/5. I think that they were offered side-by-side. In the ISB field, the Hydrus (about which there is a dearth of information) appeared to be the solid-state replacement for the HR24, and might have been used in marine as well as land-based point-to-point service. But then in the 1970s, and maybe before then, the option of adding ISB facilities (including AFC and extending the scope to include PLL carrier regeneration) to the newer generation of general purpose HF receivers became reasonably common, an example being the Eddystone EC985/12, although I don’t think that there was a Marconi version of it.

With entertainment (broadcast) receivers the Marconi versions of the Dynatron T99 (MIMCO 2230?) and T139 (MIMCO 2235) are notable, but I am not sure what MIMCO did when Dynatron ceased production of the T139, probably circa 1960. This category also included TV receivers; I have some data (1973) for the Nomad multistandard unit, which is of tuner form with baseband video and audio outputs.

Cheers,
Old 26th Oct 2013, 8:28 pm   #14
emeritus
Dekatron

Re #12, when I was working for GEC, our department was relocated to the Waterhouse Lane site (next to EEV which does still exist as E2V) in the mid-1990's. Apparently MIMCO had opened its spares distribution centre there in the 1960's. I later found an article about it in a back issue of the company magazine, and did make a copy, but it's buried in the shed somewhere. We were in one wing of a block that had previously been occupied by a mobile radio division, and the other wing , overlooking Waterhouse Lane, was MIMCo's offices, which I believe included a design department. At the time they were working on self-contained transportable INMARSAT satellite telephones, the type where the equipment was fitted into a small suitcase powered by a 12V 15Ah lead-acid battery. At the far end of the two-story building was a full height area which I understand had been used as a studio for Marconi's TV camera division. We used the old studio control room to store our files, and I had to walk along a corridor through the MIMCO offices to get to them.

Shortly after the millennium, after GEC got rebranded as Marconi, the MIMCO department at Waterhouse Lane was moved to New Street. I guess they were running down the analogue and HF side of things, as satellite comms and GPS was clearly the future: before they left one of the engineers had kindly explained and gave me some articles about how GPS worked, as I needed to know for a project I was involved in. They left some of their old stuff behind that they said we could help ourselves to. Amongst other things, I got a nice selection of test gear, one of their last types of Morse Key, and a complete set of the Radiation Lab handbooks. It was all rather sad walking through the empty offices and seeing the relics of what had been a thriving business. In one corner I found the (empty) dust cover of the visitor's book of Marconi's yacht, "Elettra", which we passed to the Marconi museum, and a framed photo of Marconi himself (which I kept). The site was sold for development a little while later and is now a retail park. We were moved to Baddow, and then Marconi went spectacularly bust, and I don't know what became of MIMCo subsequently.

Marconi certainly made some very high quality transmitters; I was told that they had had a letter of commendation from the US Navy about one of their amplifiers that they were using in a transmitter in a system where the amplifier had to handle a number of different frequencies simultaneously: the Marconi amplifier was the only one that was sufficiently linear, as the intermodulation products of the competition's amplifiers were much too high.

Last edited by emeritus; 26th Oct 2013 at 8:46 pm.
Old 27th Oct 2013, 8:37 am   #15
Chris G0EYO
Pentode

MMCO became a division of Marconi Communications Systems Ltd based in the New St works in Chelmsford c 1995. At that time MCSL was owned by Marconi Italiana and prior to Marconi going bust in 2006, Marconi Italiana became part of Finmeccanica and they renamed the MCSL business as Selex and moved to Basildon. MIMCO is stilll going but it is now called Selex ES.

Regards
Chris G0EYO
ex General Manager,
Marconi Broadcast Division 1995-1998.
Old 27th Oct 2013, 9:17 am   #16
PaulM
Hexode

Yes, I was aware of the recent history - I started my Marconi career in 1975, leaving in 1984 but have been back many times since. Waterhouse Lane was where I spent some years, so yes, I knew it well. I never realised that MIMCo eventually moved there in later years.

My interest is really in the company's real glory days when the annual catalogues brimmed with new ideas and products - when it had real clout. The takeover by GEC in 1969 was probably the watershed with the re-organisation and splitting up into divisions. Prior to that the catalogues cover such a diverse spread of products such that you can't really take it all in. Everything from radar speed traps to megawatt transmitters. It was an amazing operation and I was lucky enough to see the tail-end of such a mighty industrial machine.

Back to the Atalanta - I bought another one yesterday at the VMARS auction! Apart from missing its MIMCo badge (probably pocketed long ago by somebody as a memento), it all works just as well as my first one. It's not been 'got at' either, so I have quite a nice pair which is something I've seen in a number of pictures of ship's radio rooms. Still looking for an Oceanspan TX to go with them!

Cheers,

Paul M
Old 27th Oct 2013, 4:34 pm   #17
GW3OQK Andrew
Pentode

What would one class as "got at" in a receiver? Someone had cut out the L/S area of my Atalanta hoping to fit an S Meter. I have added a variable BFO control in that place as its helpful on CW and it can now resolve USB & LSB. Plus a BNC socket on a bracket as the aerial socket was broken. As there was no 700 kHz calibration xtal I have put in a 1MHz one and a cunning 1N4001 plugged into some test points makes the BFO come on in "cal" which I like. Picture on QRZ. I only wish I could have it on left side of bench.

Hoping the Oceanspan appears. There was once an HF only Marconi TX which was small without the MF variometer. I cant remember its name.

Andrew
GW3OQK

Last edited by AC/HL; 27th Oct 2013 at 4:38 pm. Reason: Ebay rules
Old 27th Oct 2013, 6:15 pm   #18
turretslug
Dekatron

Just what is this thing about (so called) S meters? I've seen really grimly butchered BC348s, CR100s etc. with arbitrary meters fitted. Military/professional users seemed to get by without them. I like the approach taken on some Eddystones- if you must have one, then buy it as an extra and plug it in externally. One set where there's already a (frequently empty) aperture is the AR88 but it still deserves a sympathetic addition.

It's most unlikely to mean anything much anyway, without a decent RF lab for referencing. I think the R1155 took a pragmatic approach with the good ol' magic eye- unambiguous peaking and easy to interface with a classic AGC line.

In the case of good valve comms sets (eg the Atalanta), I'd consider that fitting (if not present) a product detector would be perfectly valid and reasonable, similarly re-aligning a typical LC IF strip to suit SSB. They still hold up well generally, and a bit of icing on the cake is fine. I keep to not carving up original metalwork, and bear in mind straightforward reversion to original spec. However, it's a very individual subject and debate must have generated a great deal of words on the forum. Doing unmentionable things to an AR88 wouldn't be much of a crisis, Britain is awash with them (though still a shame). Doing the same to a mint Telefunken E52 might justify going into hiding

I've no business passing judgement on what you've done to your personal property- but well done for re-vitalising this classic, it means that you take pride in it and use it all the more, so win-win.
Old 27th Oct 2013, 8:23 pm   #19
PaulM
Hexode

I've been trawling back through the Marconi catalogues. Attached is a scan of the Atalanta's last appearance in 1968, the year before the 'absorption into the Borg' (the GEC takeover) of Marconi. Shorn of the 'MIMCo' badge on the top left-hand corner, it's just the plain and simple NS702 general purpose HF receiver. SSB was coming . . .

As to 'got at' - that's something with many variables and many thresholds. It's something that I've grappled with on many occasions with my TV OB trucks and all the restored equipment in them. My golden rule? Don't do anything that's not reversible, but if you do, make sure that you have a really good reason and that there's no other way. Pragmatism will sometimes suck you in and that's reasonable, providing you're not working on something truly outstanding. I've faced this dilemma many times and seen too many instances of pure bodgery - often from highly regarded original users. Big names in British broadcasting will need to go unmentioned at this point . . .

Also, if you really do have to do it, make sure it's something that the person following you as owner/carer would say 'that's neat' rather than 'who the $^&*% did that!'. That approach applies to the quality of the theory behind it, the wiring, the documentation and the parts used. I try to imagine it being done at the factory. How would they have done it? What materials would they have used and what techniques? If it's something that an experienced and professional user might have done during the equipment's operational lifetime, then go for it if it's really needed (eg., adding better SSB), but try to do it with contemporary parts and techniques with quality construction methods. Just my take . . .

Cheers,

Paul M
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Atalanta_1968.pdf (394.3 KB, 784 views)
Old 27th Oct 2013, 9:32 pm   #20
turretslug
Dekatron

Very much concur with those comments.

I wonder how many Atalantas were selling then? I suppose that era marked the shift in shipbuilding itself to the East, and "Marconi" was seen less and the likes of "JRC" more.
Closed Thread