UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Aug 2018, 11:44 am   #1
mickm3for
Heptode

Default Codar mini clipper.

Hi.

Has anyone any details of chassis dimensions of the mini clipper made by Codar in the 60's? I have all other parts for kit in old box, chassis must have been used for something else. I would like to build this after many years.

Thanks, Mick.
Old 25th Aug 2018, 12:41 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Codar mini clipper.

I would Guess 6 inch by 4 inch after a quick Google.
Old 25th Aug 2018, 12:51 pm   #3
mickm3for
Heptode

Hi thanks could not find after searching many times not asking google the right questions thanks Mick
Old 25th Aug 2018, 1:23 pm   #4
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

You are very welcome Mick.I am guessing though looking at the pictures found.
Old 25th Aug 2018, 2:01 pm   #5
Nuvistor
Dekatron

There is an under chassis photo on this page which shows an IO valve base, from the dimensions of that could you work out the chassis size?
http://vintageradio.me.uk/kits/codar_miniclip.htm
Old 25th Aug 2018, 2:23 pm   #6
David G4EBT
Dekatron

There were two Mini-Clippers. The first one, (1961) used a 1T4 B7G valve and octal based plug-in coils (presumably the earlier Denco ones). Later, for some bizarre reason, there was a 2-transistor add-on audio amplifier conversion kit to turn it into a hybrid radio. Quite why they used two OC71s instead of say another B7G valve is a mystery, given that back then, OC71s would have cost more than a valve. Later on, because of the cost and poor availability of HT batteries, they dropped the valve Mini Clipper and brought out an all transistor one, I think with B7G plug-in Denco coils.

The Codar Company is something of an enigma.

They suddenly appeared on the scene, brought out quite a range of sets that could be bought as kits or ready made, and were advertised extensively. They had their moment in the sun, then disappeared without a trace. I guess it was quite a small outfit which did remarkably well to design, build and market such a wide range of equipment. Their notes were typewritten, the circuits hand drawn, photocopied and stapled together. All very low budget.

Their equipment seems quite cheap when view through the rose-tinted specs of nostalgia, but when adjusted for inflation, it certainly weren't. The CR70A - a fairly basic general coverage receiver was, as I recall, £19.95, which - when adjusted for inflation - equates to £425 today. That said, as with all Codar gear, they must have sold in quite large numbers. Five valves including the rectifier, plus an OA81 diode detector/AVC, with a BFO and S meter.

The Codar styling was quite appealing to my eyes, with a home-brew aura about it, but even by the standards of the day, their mains powered equipment - notable the AT5 power supply - had a few safety shortcomings. Codar kit still often pops up at rallies, but the ones that use Denco plug-in coils are often missing the coils, without which they're just an ornament.

Enjoy building the Mini-Clipper Mick!
Old 25th Aug 2018, 3:07 pm   #7
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

That is the link I used Frank,hope not too far out.
Old 25th Aug 2018, 6:22 pm   #8
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

As David says, the Company is quite an enigma. Lots of people liked the look of the sets despite relative simplicity but they were not so available re the price I agree

Quite a number of threads but one started by Grid Leak... The History of the Codar Company [16/11/12] sums things up I think. Southwick is not far from here in Bexhill and my brother-in -law lives at Shoreham. I'll get him to ask around.

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 25th Aug 2018 at 6:30 pm.
Old 25th Aug 2018, 8:36 pm   #9
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I have quite a bit of original Codar information somewhere. I will look it out.

I still have my T28 receiver (which was companion to the AT5 transmitter). I had many hours of enjoyment from it.
Old 26th Aug 2018, 11:52 am   #10
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post

The Codar styling was quite appealing to my eyes, with a home-brew aura about it, but even by the standards of the day, their mains powered equipment - notable the AT5 power supply - had a few safety shortcomings. Codar kit still often pops up at rallies, but the ones that use Denco plug-in coils are often missing the coils, without which they're just an ornament.

David,

Don't forget the B9A connecting plugs used on the lead from the PSU to the AT5, with a male plug at each end, very nasty!

I have one piece of Codar gear that I have no info or even a model number for, it's a station controller with a pair of mains-powered relays with DPCO contacts, a front panel RX/TX switch and a neon which I think comes on when transmitting. It also has a flying lead with a push-button switch to give a PTT action and a set of Belling-Lee aerial sockets to switch the antenna between RX and TX. The footprint is a bit bigger than an AT5, IIRC.

Anybody recognise the description, I will take some snaps of it.

Roger/G3VKM
Old 26th Aug 2018, 1:01 pm   #11
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3VKM_Roger View Post
Quote:

David,

Don't forget the B9A connecting plugs used on the lead from the PSU to the AT5, with a male plug at each end, very nasty!

Roger/G3VKM
Yes, that was one of the shortcomings I alluded to.

If the AT5 PSU was switched on without the B9A male plug which carried the HT/LT, (HT is 270V plus 150V stabilised), being plugged into to the AT5, the pins would of course be live as the unwary occasionally discovered. Back then, any shortcomings would have been considered to be not the design, but the lackadaisical carelessness of the operator. It should of course have been a female socket on the power lead, with a male plug on the At5 chassis, but even then, not entirely safe. The mains switch on the PSU was just a slide switch, and some of the internal wiring was perilously close to the chassis.

I had one for some years, when I lived in Sheffield in the late 1970s and had fun with it on 'Grandads' Band' (160M).

The late Arthur Carpenter designed the 'Ten-Five' transmitter (10 Watts five valves) which appeared in P.W. and was almost identical to the AT5. I'm not sure which came first.

It seems a tad bizarre today, that the favoured band for mobile back in the 60s & 70s working was 160 Metres - probably the least convenient from an antenna point if view, but typically, amateurs would make a loaded whip, drill a hole in the chromed rear bumper of their car, fit an AT5 under the dashboard, powered by the 12V transistorised Codar PSU.

Very neatly styled and a lot packed into a small cabinet. I'm not sure it was a good idea to stack the transmitter on top of the PSU with all the heat drifting upwards, and the consequent drift in frequency, but nobody seemed to care about such trivialities back then.
Old 26th Aug 2018, 1:07 pm   #12
Station X

Quote:
Quote:

David,

I have one piece of Codar gear that I have no info or even a model number for, it's a station controller with a pair of mains-powered relays with DPCO contacts, a front panel RX/TX switch and a neon which I think comes on when transmitting. It also has a flying lead with a push-button switch to give a PTT action and a set of Belling-Lee aerial sockets to switch the antenna between RX and TX. The footprint is a bit bigger than an AT5, IIRC.

Roger/G3VKM
Like this one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CODAR-TRA...UAAOSw66NbY0tc

No discussion about that particular eBay item please for obvious reasons!

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 26th Aug 2018, 3:18 pm   #13
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

That is different to the 12V mobile PSU I had. Possibly an earlier version, as mine was more compact - although not of any practical use to me!

Yes, from today's point of view putting an AT5 and T28 in a car seems quite odd. But presumably they fitted on the glove shelf?
Old 26th Aug 2018, 4:01 pm   #14
Keith
Heptode

I use a Codar balanced coil in my rather open-plan ATU. I'd love to know which product it was designed for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATU_cl_33.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	168121  
Old 26th Aug 2018, 4:21 pm   #15
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian - G4JQT View Post
That is different to the 12V mobile PSU I had. Possibly an earlier version, as mine was more compact - although not of any practical use to me!

Yes, from today's point of view putting an AT5 and T28 in a car seems quite odd. But presumably they fitted on the glove shelf?
I had my AT5 and T28 on the glove shelf of my Mark 1 Mini 549 KY in 1968/9, running into a G-Whip. Can't recall the position of the T/R box and inverter PSU but I think the T/R switch was under the instrument cluster. Graduated to an Austin-Healey Mk IV Sprite with a 62 Set behind the seats and an A510 ATU and whip on the boot rack!

Happy /M Days!
Old 26th Aug 2018, 4:25 pm   #16
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Quote:
Quote:

David,

Roger/G3VKM
Like this one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CODAR-TRA...UAAOSw66NbY0tc

No discussion about that particular eBay item please for obvious reasons!
That's the same as mine, came from the Luton Rally several years ago, I think. Thanks for looking it up!

Roger
Closed Thread