UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Aug 2018, 11:53 am   #121
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: re Radiomuseum downloads

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseymo1 View Post
If I were to take a photo of a set from my collection and upload it to RM, eBay or anywhere else, it's no skin off my nose if someone else uses it for their own purposes. If they happen to make money by doing so, good for them - they've shown more initiative than I did!
Of course, commercial photography, authorship etc., is another matter.
Sounds sensible, but personally I would want to be acknowledged as the source of the material. That seems basic politeness to me and I would do that when using material created by others. When I start creating scans and pictures on a larger scale, I'll probably do so under a GPL variant, maybe Creative Commons.
Old 4th Sep 2018, 11:49 am   #122
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Having used the museum resources for a few years I decided on reading this thread to join.
Being a cheapskate pensioner I opted to send lots of details about my collection to Ernest Erb by email.
He kindly replied that I could be accepted and confirmed that my password would arrive by post soon so that I could log in.
Nothing happened for a few days, then an email saying more or less that I had not taken up the offer, would I like to be an administrator and would I like to buy a DVD or something about living for ever as a vegan.
I replied that I still wanted to be a member but had not received any letter and declined the other two offers, politely.
A reply again said I would get a letter, and to login as soon as possible on receipt.
It did in fact arrive very quickly, and I tried to log in immediately. Didn't work no matter what case or punctuation options I tried. So I emailed using the contact us link on the web site. Got another email reply, another letter to be sent.
Another letter has arrived today, I went through the same process and still it doesn't work.
I've sent another email reply but I am beginning to wish I had never started this journey.
Does everyone have these problems with the Radiomuseum admin or is it just me?
Sam.
Old 4th Sep 2018, 11:58 am   #123
crackle
Rest in Peace

Hi Sam
Sorry you are having difficulty joining and logging in. I have just recently joined the admin team responsible for the English emails.
Would it be possible for you to email the login details that have been sent to you to me and I will test them and see how I get on and reply to you by email.
regards
Mike
Old 4th Sep 2018, 12:17 pm   #124
Boater Sam
Banned

Thanks Mike, have done.

It's very frustrating, hope it's not me being stupid.
Sam.
Old 5th Sep 2018, 6:44 am   #125
dsergeant
Octode

Do I take it that login information is sent by snail mail?...
Old 5th Sep 2018, 6:55 am   #126
crackle
Rest in Peace

Yes, the reason is that RM members are not allowed to be anonymous.
They are real people, not hiding behind a pseudonym or false name and address..
With the members knowing this it in turn helps to encourage respect and tolerance between the members. its a positive thing.
In this case a problem has been identified and resolved personally by Ernst and we are waiting for Sam to retry the login once more with, in this specific case, details sent to him electronically.

PS. Having said that about the personal details held by RM, members can choose and hide what details are shown to other members in their profile. But at least the administration know the details they hold are as accurate as they can be.

Mike

Last edited by crackle; 5th Sep 2018 at 7:11 am.
Old 5th Sep 2018, 9:04 am   #127
D Cassidy
Retired Dormant Member

Hello.
Surely its not a good idea to either send a password by post or by electronic means for security reasons. Not only that a user generated password can be remembered and no one else would know it.
Its all very well saying you have a nice bunch of members and help one another, that is very commendable but I've never heard of any other site actually asking for you to send a password to an administrator.
Old 5th Sep 2018, 9:34 am   #128
Boater Sam
Banned

The password is only a temporary one and it auto expires in a short time. You have to change it the first time you log in.
Its not as though money is involved and the site is well moderated should there be a breach of security.
My case was exceptional as the name had been misspelt so I couldn't log in. All now sorted. Thanks Mike (crackle)
Sam.
Old 5th Sep 2018, 9:47 am   #129
crackle
Rest in Peace

D Cassidy
Does your bank send PIN details in the post.
The login details in question are just an INITIAL PW, I am advised it can only be used once, (in this case it had been used and failed because of a mismatch in the login details and the database) the member then receives a confirmation email, I assume with a link to click and then the Member is setup and logged in. I dont see how it can be more secure.
As it happens I could not do anything with the details that were sent to me other than forward them on to Ernst so that he could correctly identify the error, a typo (human error, yes this even happens in RM) was found in the database and corrected.
Once logged in for the first time the user has to go to their profile and set a new password.

We try to help where we can. Sam is now able to log in so it is all sorted now.

Mike
Old 5th Sep 2018, 9:50 am   #130
D Cassidy
Retired Dormant Member

Hello.
Very true Mike.
I suppose my particular worry was that another person (admin) could enter into your account, what you explained has made sense and is quite understandable. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 5th Sep 2018, 1:15 pm   #131
Station X

This thread has been running for some time with varying views being expressed by many members including myself.

Nothing original is likely to be posted now, so I'll close the thread.

It is suggested that members experiencing difficulties with RM contact forum member crackle by PM.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread