UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Oct 2017, 10:59 am   #1
Dougelec
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sony ICF-SW55 works on mains but not batteries

My beloved Sony SW55 fails to power up on batteries but will run on mains if the batteries are removed. Can anyone suggest what could be causing this and perhaps a suitable repair. I've searched online for the symptoms but cannot find any mention of this particular fault. It's my receiver of choice when going into the wilds for some interference free DXing and I'm pretty knackered without it. Thanks in anticipation, Dougie.
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 12:10 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Sony ICF-SW55 works on mains but not batteries

Circuit diagram here:-

http://www.radiomanual.info/schemi/R...F-SW55_sch.pdf

As far as I can see, the problem can only be with the power input jack or the diode between the battery and the regulators.

Quote:
but will run on mains if the batteries are removed.
So it won't run on mains if the batteries are present?

EDIT.

I don't know what your skill levels are or what test equipment you have available, but checking for 6 Volts from TP31 to TP29 and from TP31 to TP30 will soon tell you whether battery power is reaching the radio.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sony.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	150199  

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 12:29 pm   #3
kevinaston1
Hexode

Electrotanya has a full service manual for this.

D45 supplies B+ when an adaptor is in circuit. With no adaptor, B+ is supplied by D46. Either an OC diode, or cracked print.

Kevin
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 1:34 pm   #4
Dougelec
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks very much for the suggestions and information, I really appreciate it. I'm an instrument technician/electrician by trade and know my way around a Fluke so I should be able to carry out the checks. I did open up the case this morning to check for anything obvious and only managed to remove the case, getting right inside looked a little daunting but I'll have a go. Cheers.
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 1:41 pm   #5
paulsherwin

I know it's stating the obvious, but have you checked the battery compartment contacts carefully? If you have ever had a leaky battery in there, it may have caused damage that will cause a bad connection but is difficult to see. Also try a different set of batteries, as some cells develop a fault whereby they test OK on a meter but don't deliver any current.

If that's not it, then I agree with Kevin, though try a squirt of Servisol in the external power switch contacts.
Closed Thread