UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Oct 2017, 11:32 am   #1
CrocodileClip
Retired Dormant Member

Default Grundig 5040W tuning dial back plate

I am currently restoring a Grundig 5040W (not 3D). The paint on the tuning dial backing plate is parting company with the metal, and has flaked away in places leaving gaps. I need to re-paint the whole backing plate to do the job properly - does anyone know what sort of paint would be best?
Old 3rd Oct 2017, 6:15 pm   #2
Freya
Octode

Default Re: Grundig 5040W tuning dial back plate

I had a broken dial glass on a Grundig 5040w3d, it was only cracked in two so it glued perfectly but the scale paint showed the break, I touched up using acrylic model paint which made the break invisible.
Old 3rd Oct 2017, 10:40 pm   #3
hsbhachu3d
Pentode

Okay, I once fixed a radio's cracked glass, but it depends how good you are with digital stuff. Anyway, I had a cracked and flaking glass and I scanned it in a scanner in 2 bits and joined it on Paint Net. a free photo editing software. Once done, I also touched up the flaked bit with the software so I had a clean image with the crack brushed out. Mirror flipped the image left to right and took it to the printer (Minuteman Press - my local one, they have branches all around UK) and told them to print in the dimensions I wanted. They could not print onto glass or plastic, but they did it on a clear sticker. Remember I mirrored it? I stuck it to the back of a perspex sheet so it will be the right way round when looked at from the other side. Cut it to shape, drilled the holes and I had a brand new panel.
Old 4th Oct 2017, 7:01 am   #4
crackle
Rest in Peace

I dont think the OP needs to repair a cracked dial glass, he just needs to re-paint the flaking paint on the backing plate.
I would make sure all the old paint is removed and respry with a primer and colour to match the original as close as you can.
I normally go to Halfords to get my spray paint, take the old backing plate with you (before all the old paint is removed) so you can get a colour match.

If it is white, beware modern white spray paint often looks very wrong, I go for a subtle off white.

Mike
Old 4th Oct 2017, 8:26 am   #5
Freya
Octode

Sorry I read the post wrong
Closed Thread