UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Sep 2017, 8:08 pm   #1
DuncanLeece
Pentode

Default Export Pye?

Dear all,
Any Pye experts on the forum? Several I imagine! Generally, I collect pre-war sets, but occasionally I see a 1950s radio that tickles my fancy, and hence this Pye. Stupidly, I thought it was a P76, and I seemed to remember them having a decent reputation, plus I really liked the unusual cabinet finish.
But of course, it is not a P76, as instead it is a PE69. I am sure it is an export set given it having just MW and seven SW bands, plus look at the station names on the dial: all India and Asia……Radio Scotland nowhere to be seen? It picks it up really well, however, tuned to Hong Kong! Indeed the set sounds great, for such a small loudspeaker. It took me by surprise.

Valves are the same as the P76, apart from addition of an EM34 tuning indicator, which also works well.

There was a mention of a PE69RG on this forum a few weeks ago, and Radiomuseum shows a similar model but with LW and fewer SW options, so I suppose it was made in various guises.

What stories could it tell of far flung Empire, before finding its way to the North of Scotland? Amazing that it has survived in almost un-marked condition, so someone must have cherished it, or probably more likely, stuck it in a cupboard because of lack of LW?

My question is, just to put my curiosity to rest, does anyone know what the wood finish is? If anything, it is lighter and glossier than my camera shows, and the detailing is in a darker wood inlay, making it the opposite of the way UK versions were veneered. I think it looks lovely, but maybe it does have a non-British look to it.
Hope you all like it too?

Kind regards
Duncan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pye1.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	150134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pye2.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	150135   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pye3.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	150136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pye4.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	150137  
Old 30th Sep 2017, 9:30 pm   #2
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Export Pye?

I think the decorative veneers are sycamore and birds eye maple, but not 100% sure.

Mike
Old 30th Sep 2017, 9:34 pm   #3
ukcol
Rest in Peace

There is a PE69LW on radiomuseum.
Old 30th Sep 2017, 10:57 pm   #4
martiR2R
Hexode

I second the Sycamore, they used it for the interior of the Fenman II Radiogram.

Regards
Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0099.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	150144  
Old 1st Oct 2017, 7:18 am   #5
DuncanLeece
Pentode

Thanks for the replies.

Colin: yes, the Radiomuseum PE69LW is clearly a close relative.

Mike & Martin: You have both cracked it with Sycamore, and it is indeed the same as the interior of that very nice radiogram. I had thought Maple too for the control panel, but wasn't sure. So question answered. Well done!

best wishes
Duncan
Closed Thread