UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd May 2006, 9:45 pm   #21
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Fidelity Braemar Restoration Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braemar Restore
If i increase the tension on the tape (supply side) i get alot more treble out of the machine. If i increase the tension on the little felt pad to the head this also increases the treble. Don't get me wrong its good without but with its even better if i press the tape. Are we talking wear?
I'm no reel-to-reel expert, but I suspect that poor tape-tape head contact due to head wear is indeed the culprit.

I have some heads rescued off a Portadyne with a TD2 somewhere to which you're welcome (if I ever find them), but I remember that they were far from perfect.

Nick.
Old 23rd May 2006, 10:05 pm   #22
Braemar Restore
Triode

Thanks Nick........ They've got to be better than the ones in there already. When you find them and if you think they're OK send me a PM and let me know how much i owe you etc.

Clive
Old 23rd May 2006, 10:30 pm   #23
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

More than likely your record/play head is worn,, hence with a little extra pressure more contact with the face of the head.
"If " there is some up/down play on the take up spool, remove the circlip underneath, remove the spool carrier & fit a shim between the carrier & bearing block, so lifting the height of the carrier.

Doffery
Old 24th May 2006, 5:26 pm   #24
Braemar Restore
Triode

Smile Re: Fidelity Braemar Restoration Project

Thanks For the Info Doffery.
I'll give the take up spool a go tomorrow and post how i get on.

Clive
Old 9th Jun 2006, 9:41 am   #25
Braemar Restore
Triode

Hi All......... Sorry for the delay in posting how i got on, but here's the latest. I've managed to purchase another machine from e-bay so i could compare like for like. Like mine, this machine catches the tape at the top of the spool. It seems to be a design fault. I've had a look at the carrier and there is no room for adjustment! So i presume it's back to the drawing board. The second machine has had a replacement record / playback head and is hardly worn so i've done a head swap. I now have a scrap deck any ideas what i should keep from it? Can anyone tell me the weak points on TD2 decks.

Clive
Old 9th Jun 2006, 7:55 pm   #26
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: Fidelity Braemar Restoration Project

Sorry you havn't been unable to adjust the height of the take up spool carrier I can assure you it is possible.

Regarding the weak points on the TD 2, have you an hour or two to spare.??

Cheers.

Doffery
Old 19th Jul 2006, 10:02 pm   #27
red16v
Heptode

Hi,

I had one of these as a 'lad' - wooden case with 'dark smoke' perspex cover. Long gone. However, I do have the original user manual (not technical manual) if you are missing yours I will let you have mine for free (but please only if you don't have one). Send me a pm if you wish. Regards, yt.
Old 20th Jul 2006, 2:45 am   #28
TIMTAPE
Octode

Yes, if increasing back tension and/or pressure pad pressure improves the treble, it may mean the head is worn or dirty or misaligned. It may mean too that the back tension is not correct, or the pressure pad is old or misaligned or lacking tension.

Back tension should be specified in the service data. In practice it's a compromise between a few factors such as head wear, tape stretch and even tape slowing down at the end of a reel of tape, as opposed to weak tape to head contact.
As with audio cassettes, the pressure pad system is a weakness and results in uneven wear of the head surface. Then when the tape eventually wears a groove in the head, the pressure pad is left high and dry, sitting on the unworn edges of the head. The only real solution is a new head or relapping the existing one.
New pressure pads can be made out of good quality felt as can clutches and braking pads.
Sorry Paul for the email address error. I'm learning!
Tim
Old 5th Sep 2006, 5:31 pm   #29
Braemar Restore
Triode

Hi All...... The project continues and is going well. I would like to post and acknowledge my thanks to Michael (red16v) for supplying an instruction book for this machine free of charge. A one in a million, thank you.
On the restoration note i am going to reattempt to highten the take up spool carrier. I do have another problem though which is the failure to enter FF / REW. The FF/ REW button won't move from the stop position. I i flex the spool carriers it frees. Any thoughts?

Clive
Closed Thread