UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Aug 2016, 5:05 pm   #1
RadioHist
Pentode

Default Need advert in Amateur Wireless - April 1929

Folks,

I'm working on background information for a paper on the Russian made thermo-electric generators of the 1950s used to power small broadcast receivers.

I need any information on the UK built Thermattaix gas fired thermopile used to charge radio accumulators from circa 1925. I see a reference saying that there is an advert in Amateur Wireless magazine for April 1929. A scan of this or any relevant information would be very much appreciated.

There is also reference to a "Thermo-Generator" sold by the Cardiff Gas Light & Coke Co. sometime in the 1930s. I see the advert but it has no date. There is a statement by one John Howell that his father sold some of these in South Wales but I presume that very few were made.

There are indications that some 50,000 variants of the Soviet generators were built. (I have a TZGK 2-2 of 1958 vintage and a "Spark - 53" radio that could be powered by it.)

Comments welcome...

Robert
Old 29th Aug 2016, 5:34 pm   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Need advert in Amateur Wireless - April 1929

Not a company advert as such but a description and picture from Wireless World, 9th Nov. 1927:

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...thermattaix%22

Lawrence.
Old 30th Aug 2016, 1:26 pm   #3
RadioHist
Pentode

Lawrence,

Thanks for taking time to reply. I'll place it in my references. Still hope I can see the advert mentioned. I thought it interesting that they had a generator that was powered not only by gas or petrol burning but by ELECTRICITY. Seems on the surface to be an oxymoron but I guess it is one way to convert HT mains to the LT required for charging accumulators or if the HT mains came from a jittery one cylinder motor/generator outfit, it could act as a stabilizer.

Robert
Old 30th Aug 2016, 4:25 pm   #4
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Try Manchester Museum of Science and Technology Castlefields Manchester. They have gas and electrical sections.
Closed Thread